International student financial aid

<p>I'm a Korean student studying in a international school in the Philippines.</p>

<p>I am preparing to go to college/university in US.</p>

<p>What are some financial aids available for students like myself?</p>

<p>Well, if you're a Korean student studying in another country, that suggests that your family has money.</p>

<p>Either way, only a small number of schools give a lot of aid to international, BUT the colleges determine how much they will give you AFTER they look at your family's assets and income. It doesn't matter if your parents won't pay more than a certain amount. The schools determine need.</p>

<p>If they see that you're studying in another country, they are likely going to determine that your family doesn't have big need. </p>

<p>The ivies and a some other schools give aid to internationals.</p>

<p>We don't know how or why this OP is studying at an international school in a different country from their ethnicity. It's very possible that the family has a job in the Phillipines or this student is living with extended family to study there. There is nothing that guarantees this student "has money". Maybe they do and maybe they don't.</p>

If they see that you're studying in another country, they are likely going to determine that your family doesn't have big need.


<p>This is NOT how need based aid is determined. It is determined by looking at your family's income and assets, not the place where you go to school.</p>

<p>To the OP...if you wish to attend college in the United States AND you need financial aid to do so, you need to find schools that guarantee to meet full need for international students that are accepted. BUT (as implied by Mom2) you need to first figure out if your family would even QUALIFY for need based aid. Convert their income to U.S. dollars...and use an online financial aid calculator using the institutional methodology. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you are not eligible for U.S. federally funded money anyway.</p>

<p>You need to also know that to obtain a visa to study in college here, you WILL have to demonstrate that you have sufficient money to cover your year's expenses and this can include financial aid awarded by the college. BUT if the college comes up short on the aid, you will be required to demonstrate that you have the money to make up the difference.</p>

<p>Another thing...there are schools that guarantee to meet full need for international students. BUT there are not a lot of schools that are need blind for admissions for international students AND guarantee to meet full need for them. This means that your ability to pay for college could be a consideration when applying to U.S. Schools. This information is on all school websites.</p>

<p>Do you have any particular colleges that you are interested in? If so, post those here and perhaps folks with experience with those schools can give you some information about them.</p>

<p>*If they see that you're studying in another country, they are likely going to determine that your family doesn't have big need.</p>

<p>This is NOT how need based aid is determined.*</p>

<p>Of course not. I should have written more. There have been int'l students who've tried to hide/shelter income/assets. However, schools get suspicious when someone claims to have low income/assets when they see that the student has gone to high school either out of the country or to a pricey prep school.</p>

<p>there are schools that guarantee to meet full need for international students.</p>

<p>Yes, but full demonstrated need. </p>

<p>If you read some of the int'l threads from students who got far less than they thought they would at "full need" schools.</p>

<p>international schools are expensive. if you can afford to study in one, you would not need financial aid.</p>

<p>moneyp...respectfully, I disagree with part of your post. International schools are typically the same cost as most other private schools in foreign countries (we have family members who have kids who studied at international schools because of job placements and they chose the international school because of the curriculum and/or location of the school) DH graduated from an international school and we have several nieces and nephews who recently graduated from them as well. In all cases, the cost of the international school was the same as other private schools.</p>

<p>BUT most all the cases above, the students were at the international school because their PARENT had a job in that country...not because they were rich. And in the cases we know, the employers actually paid a portion of the cost of attending the international school for the students.</p>

<p>And in all the above cases, the kids were recipients of some need based aid in college...these were American citizens studying abroad. </p>

<p>Not everyone who works abroad is making a huge income...and we also don't know other circumstances.</p>

<p>Just attending an international school is NOT a guarantee that the family has a lot of money. These schools also have scholarship students.</p>

<p>Until we know the's hard to advise.</p>

<p>Agree with post #7...not enough info to really give advice to the OP.</p>


<p>Your first stop in this process is the guidance office at your international school. If it is run on the US system, and many of the graduates go to the US for college, then the guidance counselors will have useful ideas for you.</p>

<p>The other thing you need to do is read everything (and I do indeed mean everything) at EducationUSA</a> | Study Abroad, Student Visa, University Fairs, College Applications and Study in the U.S. / America Then make an appointment with the counselors at the advising center closest to where you live. Ask about their experience helping students like you find good places to study in the US. If the counselors at that center haven't worked with a student like you recently, they have colleagues at other offices who have.</p>

<p>As others have written, it is extremely important for you to find out how much your family is willing to pay for your education. It may be better for you to return to your home country to study, or for you to complete your degree where you are living now.</p>