Internship application--what kind of paper for resume, transcript, other forms?

<p>Okay, I admit that I am obsessing over the minutia here, but college student D is sending out internship applications and I am wondering how to instruct her about the paper to print all of the components on. Cover letter gets fancy bond paper, correct? And the resume, too, I am thinking? But I assume that regular copy/printer paper is okay for the unofficial copy of her transcript that she is printing from the school's website, as well as for the several forms she is printing from the internship sponsor's website?</p>

<p>Our son has done two internships and one research project and has applied for many jobs and has had many interviews. I don't believe that he has ever done a paper application - everything was done online.</p>

<p>I would generally use high-quality paper for this sort of thing if the organization accepts physical applications.</p>

<p>Likewise - I've advised my kids to use heavyweight bond paper for resumes and cover letters. Most of the time the only hard copy document they produce is the resume, to bring copies to the actual in-person interview. As others have said, all of their applications were online, and cover letters and transcripts, along with resumes, were attached as documents.</p>

<p>It would make life easier if the materials could be submitted on-line, but the agencies want paper copies of everything. The selections are made on the basis of the applications--no interviews.</p>

<p>Son also did everything online. Then, phone interviews. Good luck.</p>

<p>You are saying they don't interview. Hummm. What field is this where they don't interview before they hire interns?</p>

<p>Or maybe you meant the companies select candidates from the applications, but then whittle that pack down to just those they want to interview.</p>

<p>Can you elaborate?</p>

<p>Some places don't interview because it would be a burden to get the candidate to their work location.</p>

<p>My junior son has just started submitting his resume for internships. All is done online in response to internship openings that are posted. He has gotten 2 requests for interviews so far, one I believe will be an in person interview but he texted yesterday to say he got another interview request but that the interview will be a phone interview.</p>

<p>Interesting that they want old fashioned physical resumes, as I don't see that anymore where I work. However, when I did see physical paper resumes, I remember thinking that fancy paper was overkill. High quality white paper with a tidy, concise resume is perfect for engineers and technical fields. Reminder, 1-page only for the main details.</p>

<p>p.s. If I sensed that a parent was involved in the resume or application process I would not hire that student.</p>

<p>My D has (quite successfully) just used regular copy/printer paper for her resume & cover letters. I remember "back in the day" when we would user a heavier bond/more formal paper, but I really don't think that is needed. Heck, someone in HR is probably going to photocopy it to give it to the hiring manager anyway.</p>

<p>Worry a lot more about content, readability, no typos, correct postage on the envelopes (trust me, my D blew it on that specific item during her first round of internship applications), etc.</p>

<p>Just use regular copy paper. And let your kiddo handle this. She is applying for the internship.</p>

<p>At least chat with them about the postage item... my D put 44 cent stamps on 8 1/2 x 11 envelopes with several items in them. :eek: She had no idea that you put different amounts of postage on heavier items.</p>