Intership Interview Expecations

<p>I got an e-mail stating that the prospective firm had found my resume on the school's network and that they would like to setup an interview with me.</p>

<p>-When I call them, is it pretty straight forward, just tell them that I had been contacted by e-mail and looking to setup an interview?</p>

<p>-The company is a large investment firm that specializes in mutual funds. Will they test me on the interview asking me what I know about mutual funds? What questions should I expect?</p>

<p>Thanks,
Kinglin</p>

<p>I have similar questions. My phone-interview will take place next tuesday with a large financial firm on an internship position titled "premium audit internship." Is it necessary that I know a background knowledge of the actual position? Also, what are the chances of success if one did relatively well during an interview?</p>

<p>thanks a bunch</p>

<p>bump bump bump</p>

<p>Kinglin:
1) It is straightforward. A polite hello, introduction of yourself (name), and explanation of why you called is completely normal. No fancy stuff necessary</p>

<p>2) You will not be questioned on your knowledge in mutual funds (unless this firm has a completely weird. irrational human resources manager). Most likely, you will be questioned on your work ethic and work/leadership experience related to the job at hand. Seriously, you are applying for an intern position. They don't expect you to know everything. But they do expect that you have enthusiasm and a strong willingness to learn (as well as know how to be reliable, a leader, responsible etc). Any knowledge in mutual funds at this point would just be a bonus. Expect questions about prior work experiences (who is your favorite boss, who did you not like at your workplace and why, what skills can you bring, that type of thing).</p>

<p>Jimmy:</p>

<p>3) It is good that you know the title of your job. However, the title is mostly irrelevant at this moment and time. What is more important is your ability to present yourself. Just be generally familiar with what it entails. For example, if data entry is something that is part of your "premium audit internship" as read on the job description, then you should mention your experiences in that area (I type _<em>WPM, I did data entry for _</em><em>, I took keyboarding classes...etc). For most internships, you learn as you go. It is not necessary to know that you will be entering in _</em> to the access database xp qur type p software number 3874.</p>

<p>4) Most importantly, as many interviewers say, your resume is your hook, your interview is the sinker. Your resume will get you an interview, your interview will get you the job/internship. So yes, if you are successful at the interview (more so than any other candidate), there is a large chance that you will get the internship.</p>

<p>FYI, I generally know what I am talking about, as I work for my state's dept. of labor and job center as an intern. Hope this helps</p>

<p>My guess is you will probably be doing a behavioral based interview, typically S.T.A.R. format, which stands for situation, task, action, and response. You basically want to follow that format when responding to questions. Tell them about the situation, the task presented, the action you took, and the outcome. If you haven't done a major interview before and really want the position i would recommend setting up a mock interview through your career services department if possible. I'm extremely glad i did, i thought i was prepared for my first big interview until i went in and did the mock interview. I'm extremely glad i did and ended up getting the position, if i had not gone in i don't think i would have gotten it. </p>

<p>I would also recommend going to your career services department and picking up a sheet which goes over the typical questions that will be asked, you may also try searching around online. Try and have two responses to all the questions. Typical interviews will be two back to back 20-30 minutes interviews with seperate people where they will probably ask you similar questions but want different responses. Remember you don't have to have perfect responses to all your questions, sometimes that outcome my have been less than optimal, you just don't want to have a negative outcome.</p>

<p>I forgot to add, make sure you're knowledgable about the company you're applying to. At the end of the interview you will probably be asked if you have any questions about the company or position you're applying for, make sure you come up with a few. Come up with questions that show you're knowledgable about the company and that you are interested in the position.</p>

<p>Best of luck</p>