Inviting comments about Freshman "overbooking"

<p>we received a letter today saying there was "Overwhelming" response to the offer of admission for the class of 2014, and therefore there is a "challenge" of housing said students. It then went on to offer 3 incentives to relieve the "overbooking" housing dilemma. Each with $$ and appealing offers, but when all is said and done, the promise we all heard --of never more than 2 per room, is not to come true. Anyone else receiving this letter have thoughts on it?</p>

<p>I received it today as well...</p>

<p>I have to say, the 'offers' given are quite good. If you have any family/friends in the area, then I'd seriously consider the offer. If you anyway wanted to go to the Florence campus, then I'd seriously consider going freshman year. 3 to a room? Something to consider, especially if you're used to living with other siblings and sharing a room.</p>

<p>.... Personally I am ever-so-vaguely considering the 3 to a room. If they offered studying abroad w/ incentives (rather than just Florence) I would also seriously consider doing so my freshman year as I have traveled before and love it.</p>

<p>I just hope that enough people volunteer so that people who don't want to do so, aren't forced. And that some of us don't end up being squished into really bad housing. (look on the bright side, perhaps some will get into upper-level housing? although even that has a con, being that you have to work more to meet other freshman).</p>

<p>So I think it all depends on who you are, your needs/options/desires... for some this is a great opportunity, for the majority this is a little bit of a forewarning sign that things might be tight.</p>

<p>"...the promise we all heard --of never more than 2 per room, is not to come true"</p>

<p>Marist never promises such a thing. Never once has there been a promise or guarantee of 2 per room for freshmen.</p>

<p>When my son was an incoming freshman, they offered a laptop to students willing to volunteer for triples. </p>

<p>There are also rooms in some of the low rise dorms that are actually set up as triples (in other words, they are not forced triples but actually rooms set up for 3 people).</p>

<p>Triples are nothing new. Way back in 1978, I was placed in a room with 4 girls (at a state university). Even back then, triples existed.</p>

<p>Triples are not limited to Marist College. They exist at almost every college.</p>

<p>Thank you newrose72- that was very insightful and helpful, and definitely food for thought. I agree that the offers were good, and i was looking to hear others opinions.
Your last paragraph really said it all--very true! Good Luck!</p>

<p>Glad I could help.</p>

<p>Had a chat about it today with my dad and he said that if I really want a Mac laptop, there's the way to go and get it for free... so 3 to a room really isn't looking too bad right now. But I'll wait and look into it first!</p>

<p>that's funny newrose72, my son was feeling the exact same thing! He just discussed the mac opportunity too! Great minds! lol. Again, thank you and Have a super summer before college!</p>

<p>Quick note -- if you sent in your deposit very early, chances that you'll be placed into a build-up (3 students in a double) are very small... very very very small. The later you sent your deposit, the higher the chance. I'd say if you sent in your deposit any later than two/three weeks before the due date, take the incentive. Forced buildups also break down pretty quickly, and if you're in one any longer than a month, I think they give you a $1000 credit, but I'm not sure.</p>

<p>I took the incentive (I sent in my deposit the same day I was accepted -- in January!) and I volunteered for the buildup... and I really regretted it, but again, it's all luck of the draw of who your roommates are.</p>