Is 21-24 months enough time to get my score from 1900 to 2300-2400?

<p>I get mixed answers on this question and I always hear that it's pretty impossible to go from 2000 to 2300+. I won't take a prep course and write now I only have the BB, Barrons 2400, grubers for math, and direct hits.</p>

<p>Nothing is impossible.</p>

<p>Right now, you have decent scores. But you want to have genius level scores.</p>

<p>That is probably unrealistic, and is kind of a silly question. It's like saying that I have a 3.0 gpa, but am planning on having a 4.0 average. First, get a 3.5, before you even start talking about a 4.0.</p>

<p>No matter how hard you study, some of this comes down to your native IQ.</p>

<p>My wife can never be Paris Hilton, no matter how hard she works out.</p>

<p>But instead of having some particular target in mind, just study hard for the test, and you will no doubt do better than if you never studied.</p>

<p>You could probably raise it to a 2100, which would still be good. </p>

<p>But 2300--2400?. Probably not. That is the top one percentile.</p>

<p>My son raised his SAT score 110 points with zero studying. So 200 with studying is definitely possible. </p>

<p>I WOULD take a prep course. True, you can study on your own, but having a set time and place to do prep work in effect FORCES you to do it. It is like having a personal trainer. Do you really need one? Probably not. But if you have a set appointment with the trainer, you will likely show up for that appointment, rather than blowing off working out.</p>

<p>Your ultimate SAT score in my view is important enough to spend the extra money.
Isn't it worth spending $1,000 if it might get you into a top school?</p>

<p>@MegaFund-- First, what schools are you trying for? 2300 may be overkill for a school that thinks 2100 is great. Second, which was your weaker section? I was under the impression that most schools pay more attention to the strength of the CR/Math parts than the writing section. In any case, common sense dictates studying harder in the section you did the weakest. Third: did you strategize the test to your best advantage? Better to leave a blank if you're totally clueless than guess and put a potentially wrong answer and get a quarter point extra off as penalty. Fourth: even if you do absolutely nothing, your score per section can fluctuate plus or minus 20 points each on a retake, so you could possibly go up 60 points just by the mere act of retaking the test, and fifth: did you consider taking the ACT as a supplemental choice for the schools to consider in lieu of the SAT? The ACT is not just for midwestern schools anymore.</p>

<p>Personally, I think taking a prep course would only be worth it if your scores were either unexpectedly low for your GPA, or you are desperately trying for an Ivy (or some other very competitive school), or you are trying to qualify for scholarships that take high SAT scores into consideration. </p>

<p>My D lifted her score up 100 points by doing little more than looking over the usual SAT study guides a week before she retook the test. I can only imagine what she could have done had she really applied herself.</p>

<p>21-24 months is enough for you to reach your "limit" or maximum potential. I think a 2200+ is likely if you work hard, but after 2200 it is kind of down to luck and your mood.</p>

<p>you do realize you're talking about an entire year right! so yea i think you can get in that range you just have to wore diligently!! Because i know some persons, because they have the time they tend to slack off for weeks at times saying how they'll make it up later but if u commit to studying a bit everyday; like 10 words and 1 hr of math, cr and w u can def get 2300+</p>

<p>I am a firm believer that one can only extend his/her abilities so much, but in the end, they remain constrained by your range of IQ. You can work as hard as you can, and sure, you'll improve considerably. But unless you have above average to high intelligence, I don't think a 2300+ is a close possibility.</p>

<p>I went from an 1800 to a 2200 in one summer. I don't know what you guys are talking about.</p>

<p>I just started my 10th grade year. I haven't even learned everything that will be on the SAT yet. Geometry will be on the SAT and I just started the course in school. I'm trying to get into a top 10 school. I'm not going to a school for prestige, it's just that the jobs I want, mainly recruit from the top schools. Writing is my weaker section but I don't want to make any excuses. I don't want to say I got a 2100 but got a 1500 on math and CR, I want to say I got a 2350 or a 2400 in total. The analogy you used for the GPA isn't a good one for this situation( no offense). I'm sure my intelligence is good, I'm not in idiot but im not in a position to cure cancer. My 1900 is without studying, it's my raw score from the summer. I've barely touched my BB and I haven't started using Grubers, Direct Hits, Barrons 2400, Silver Turtle's guide, or any other prep. I don't have $1000 on spend and I've heard too many horror stories from supposedly top tier prep companies to really consider a prep course. I don't really understand why people say others have a "limit". The SAT isn't a beauty contest or a dunk contest, it doesn't really require you being born with a special gift. You can learn everything being questioned on the SAT. Nobody's born knowing how to do algebra, a super vocabulary, or sentence correction skills, it's all learned. But my question is, do I have enough time to learn some of this?</p>

<p>"The SAT isn't a beauty contest or a dunk contest, it doesn't really require you being born with a special gift. You can learn everything being questioned on the SAT. Nobody's born knowing how to do algebra, a super vocabulary, or sentence correction skills, it's all learned. But my question is, do I have enough time to learn some of this?"</p>

<p>Hahahha. Amen. xD</p>

<p>And to answer your question; yes you do. More than enough time.</p>

<p>people def. have limits. you can know the material that is tested on the SAT like the back of your hand, but if your mind isn't intelligent enough to know how to apply it to a tricky intricate question, you'll be limited.</p>

<p>If someone's on CC, I think they can pick up anything if taught it.</p>

<p>^ In that case every single chance thread you see on CC would have a perfect GPA. an UW GPA lower than a 4.0 means careless mistakes or not being able to pick up material.</p>

<p>^Mistakes can happen. What I mean is, every smart person can pick up something and learn it. When someone says someone has a "limit" that means there will be stuff they just cannot learn no matter how hard they practice. What I'm saying is, that's not true. Anyways...can I improve my score by 400-500 points by 21-24 months?</p>

<p>My daughter took the SAT last January and scored a 1940; she retook the exam in May and scored a 2200. So, yes it is possible. She did have tutoring and I think it was worth it. She went from a 31 to a 33 in the ACT in a few months time as well.</p>

<p>@floridadad55 It doesn't come down to your IQ because the SAT DOESN'T measure IQ. 24 months is definitely enough (though it is overdoing it) to raise your score by a lot of points. It is hard to get past 2000 since it comes down to luck but it also comes down to the knowledge of the SUBJECTS on the test. If IQ was being measured, wouldn't the test have more than just 3 topics?</p>

<p>With 24 months, it's possible, but it also depends on your work ethic. If you can score a 1900 with no prep, you have the ability to score a 2300+. But after 2300 it's a matter of luck. But yes, with diligent prep, you have the ability to reach 2300. But don't expect it to be easy.</p>

<p>Yeah, I'll work an hour a day on this.</p>

<p>You surely can. Start with some good books and small word list first. You should learn at least 1500 words for the first 6 months. For the next 6 months, broaden your reading: philosophy, history, psychology, literature books will inure you to a great variety of usage, structure... At that time you should find the passages in SAT pretty easy, so the only left is to improve your SAT skills. 1 year is enough.</p>

<p>Some other notes:
- Study Barron's 3500-word list. With that amount of time that you're willing to spend, preparing such amount of word is worthy of your reading in a whole life.
- Reading requires a lot of time, but you will find joy in it. Find your favourite type, delve in the references, discuss with your friends, it will pay you a lot.
- I agree that luck matters. But I believe by that amount of time, and by that great determination that you have shown, you still can get a 2300 if you're not lucky :D</p>

<p>New Jersey Mom,</p>

<p>Did you do private tutoring? Who did you use? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>