Is a 2190 worth retaking?

<p>800 CR - 700 M - 690 WR</p>

<p>The number 2200 just looks so much nicer...</p>

<p>wow a 800 on cr is really good. matters where you wanna apply and how many times u have taken the sat. if the 2190 was only ur 1st or 2nd time, then do it again. if it was third or more, dont.</p>

<p>What schools are you applying to?</p>

<p>If that's the first time and you can study, then yes. If you've already studied and don't have the time to do much more, then no.</p>

<p>Yes, just to try to superstore on your M and W sections. But that's just my personal opinion. And truthfully, it really depends on where you are looking at for colleges.</p>

<p>My list so far is:
Brown
Bryn Mawr
LSU
Harvard
Swat
UT
Williams
Yale</p>

<p>Does being URM change anything?</p>

<p>Harvard. Study and retake.</p>

<p>^ I disagree. Even though s/he can improve his writing, and maybe, math, this score is definitely enough for him to apply to Harvard. My bro got into Stanford with a 2080 (though it may be that he was first generation and had great essays). She got rejected by Harvard.</p>

<p>If you have already taken it several times (3 or more like rafa said), 2190 is a really great score as it is.</p>

<p>@Stonesn: Is it your brother or your sister?</p>

<p>800 CR is really good. For me, improving my math and writing was really easy while improving my reading is a struggle (on the SAT I took I got 670 CR and 800 Math/Writing). I'm sure that learning a few grammar rules and how to write a good SAT essay won't be too bad, and practicing a lot with math is effective. I say retake unless you've taken the test a few times and couldn't improve.</p>

<p>It is kind of hard to study for the writing section, and some schools don't even care about it.</p>

<p>That being said, my son increased his CR from a 720 to an 800 with no study, and increased his math from a 660 to a 700 with no study.</p>

<p>So if you have only taken it once, then take it again and superscore.</p>

<p>Bryn Mar is a girl's school</p>

<p>He/She is a She</p>

<p>Writing is the easiest section to improve if you have a penchant for remembering rules. There are only a dozen or so grammatical rules you need to know for the SAT. </p>

<p>On a personal note, I improved my score in the writing section from the 550 to 760 - 800. Plus, I had never been taught grammar in school. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>floridadad - that's kind of what happened to me. My first try was a 700 CR - 650 M - 680 WR, and of course, a 2090. I took it again with the intention of studying to get over the 2100 mark (the studying never really happened), but surprisingly improved significantly. Except the writing...</p>

<p>Retaking would be the third time. I'm worried about my score decreasing (800 is a lot to live up to), but mostly about not getting better. </p>

<p>Both tries, I had 10 essays, but I only went up from -7 to -6.</p>

<p>[Edit] IceQube, would you mind sending them to me? I used silverturtle's SAT guide for the writing rules, but there was a lot to take in.</p>

<p>^If you are looking for writing review and practice, check out both the Gruber's and McGraw-Hill SAT books. Barron's Writing Workbook is great for review and practice as well. </p>

<p>This is worth a look too:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/newsat/chapter8section3.rhtml%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/newsat/chapter8section3.rhtml&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>