Is a printer needed for a freshman?

<p>My daughter has a laptop and we have not bought her a printer. I have heard that they really don't need one in their dorm room but wondered what other people thought about it. Is it easy to get things printed elsewhere or do most professors ask for things emailed? Thanks!</p>

<p>Yes, some/many profs ask for things to be emailed, but some things still need to be printed.</p>

<p>Having a printer is a personal choice. Some like the convenience of having one in their dorm. Some prefer to pay the 5 cents (or whatever) it costs to print on campus printer. I think they can use their Action Card to pay the small cost.</p>

<p>I agree with m2ck. A printer is nice to have especially when you need something printed ASAP and/or the labs are busy. I eventually got a printer and it was really nice to have, but it is not absolutely required. </p>

<p>As for e-mailing assignments, that has only been the case for me in online classes. For on-campus classes, some professors like to have hard copies and some don't. You can always ship a printer later on.</p>

<p>You can purchase a printer on line and have it shipped to Paty Hall (Package Dekivery Service). Overstock.com has cheap shipping rates.</p>