Is a starting salary of $60k really as bad as my Asian parents think it is?

<p>I'll get straight to the point. Same old, same old. Typical Asian parents. Want me to be a pharmacist or dentist. Nothing else. Delusioned by the six figure starting salaries, but do not take into account these:</p>

<ol>
<li>8 years to get a doctorate (?)</li>
<li>Malpractice insurance (?)</li>
<li>Expensive med school</li>
<li>Internship w/o pay for YEARS. You'd be in your mid 30's before actually making the projected six figure salary.</li>
</ol>

<p>Just off the top of my head, feel free to add more.</p>

<p>To top it off, I have little interest in the sciences. Nevertheless, they're still trying to shove those careers down my throat.</p>

<p>I'm aspiring to be a computer guy, mainly a major in Information Technology. Now, I see that the starting salary for IT on average is $60k. I'm not one to care for money-making as much as my parents, but isn't the average salary for the typical Joe $45k? Wouldn't that make $60k a REALLY good salary to be financially secure? </p>

<p>Unfortunately, my parents don't think it is. Delusioned by the $100k salaries of said (asian) profressions, perhaps. But I'm asking you guys, is $60k really that bad? Please feel free to post your opinions on my argument against the "Asian parents'" majors/careers.</p>

<p>Additional info:
I live in Massachusetts around the Boston area. Middle class stuff.
Parents want me to go to BC. I want to go to CMU.</p>

<p>60K is not bad at all for an entry-level position, depending on where you plan on living of course. 60k in NYC or LA will not go nearly as far as it will in rural Minnesota.</p>

<p>Plus, IT Managers have the potential to make a lot of money. I know one that makes 120K+ ;)</p>

<p>First off, I think average salary is considerably lower than that. Also, $60,000 is very good coming straight out of college, and more than enough to live on for a college graduate. You're right about doctors, and that's why they (eventually) end up getting paid so much. If it's (IT's) what you want to do, go for it. Explain to your parents that 1.) $60,000 is a GOOD amount of money coming out of college (much more than a doctor would make at that point in their education) and that you don't need/particularly want more and 2.) You should go into a field you want to, not just chasing a number. Pursue your passion.</p>

<p>The average salary is not 45k. 45k in most parts of the country is a relatively high salary.</p>

<p>60k is a very good starting salary. Very good.</p>

<p>60K is nice. A lot of borderline low class/middle class FAMILIES make this. And since this is individual it's pretty good. And yeah a lot of asian parents have/dream high expectations for their kids, but the problem is they don't exactly think of the steps they need to do to meet those expectations. It's all talk.</p>

<p>that's how much my family income is!!!!</p>

<p>If you're single and make 60k then that's amazing!!!</p>

<p>Money won't make you a happier or better person. A job you love might.</p>

<p>Yeah 60k is a lot for a single individual. My family of about 8 makes roughly that much and we still are pretty good. Well sometimes we're broke, but I have a good life lol. Even in California that is a pretty good amount.</p>

<p>60K is really good.</p>

<p>60K for a single individual, not supporting a family, is quite nice, in comparison to what I've grown up with. We've had 25K for my mother and I for as long as I can remember and support ourselves more than well enough. We don't have a large house or big extras, but its comfortable. 60K for one right out of college, that would be nice in my book--especially if you're good with money.</p>

<p>I you don't want to be a Doctor or dentist then don't. It's your life not your parents. You will be living with the decision. Just because you make six figures doesn't mean that your going to be happy. Do something you love and will enjoy. 60k is much out of college but being guy can be very lucrative especially when you work for a big company or your the lead IT director. So do what you want, it's your life.</p>

<p>60k is really good for someone just out of college with a bachelor's degree. And plus, living in Boston, you'd most likely make more to make up for the high cost of living. I'm more familiar with CS, but the fields are similar. There are tons of opportunities for internships and many will pay >$20/hr. Also, a lot of companies will pay for you to go to grad school part time while working for them. And of course you won't be making 60k your whole life. You can easily make 100k, especially if you become some sort of manager. I don't see what's wrong with choosing to go in the IT direction. It's not like you're choosing to major in women's studies which will get you nowhere. You can be very successful and live comfortably with a career in IT.</p>

<p>I asked my (Asian) mom and she said it sounded fine to her.</p>

<p>well it depends on what you started with. What i mean is what is your current level of living right now in terms of wealth. </p>

<p>My parents since they are both doctors make ~ 600,000 together around 300,000 each per year, my dad makes a little more.</p>

<p>After college, if i made just 60k then i would experience a sharp decline in the quality of living so it would be bad in my case to have such a minimal starting salary. This would be different if my parents had less, etc.</p>

<p>You can always get an MBA afterwards and make more money as an associate or analysts after a few years.</p>

<p>60K is good when you're 22 and living supporting only yourself. When you're 35 and have 2.3 kids, 60K sucks.</p>

<p>But dude, if you're capable of somewhere like CMU, major in Comp Sci. By 2015 or so the average starting salary will easily be 90K+ from a school like CMU.</p>

<p>^Very easy said than done lol. Comp sci is RIDICULOUSLY competitive and difficult and troublesome to learn.</p>

<p>Okay... So it's hard...</p>

<p>do what you want. you'll be the one living off of the 60k, not them.</p>

<p>60k is about as good as it gets for a non-medical salary straight out of college.</p>

<p>^Apparently the 18.5% of those from the BBA program where I go who get into Investment Banking make a median first year compensation of ~117K/year.</p>

<p>You can also take a look down to the median starting salaries for Computer Science and Computer Engineering here: <a href="http://career.engin.umich.edu/salary/20072008.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://career.engin.umich.edu/salary/20072008.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>