As of this year, I will be the first in my family to apply to college, and I must say that my family and I are quite nervous since we’re totally unfamiliar with the college admissions process. My top choice for college, American University, has an “Early Decision II” plan with a deadline set for January 10th. As I’ve read, Early Decision offers students a tremendous boost towards getting admitted into the institution, with an admission rate of 89%. With these facts, I have seriously contemplated the possibility of applying Early Decision as a means to solidify my chances of gaining admission. However, the two major deterrents standing in my way are my low-income status and wish to go test-optional.
While speaking with a longtime friend who is a graduate student, I was informed that the caliber of the applicants I would be going up against would be doing me a disservice, knowing that I will not be providing SAT/ACT scores. Moreover, my lack of income would only create a burden for the university. Whereas chances are that the applicants I’d be competing against likely come from more affluent backgrounds and are probably providing test scores to help their applications outshine mine.
I don’t know where I want to go from here. I know that during high school I’ve made quite a lot of achievements such as becoming president of debate team, achieving a 3.7 GPA, excelling in ap classes, achieving great letters of recommendation, and overall just being a good student. Being a Hispanic, I’ll also be applying as a minority. Nevertheless, I can’t help but contemplate applying ED as a means of ensuring that I gain entrance into the college I want to, without biting my nails for the next two months.
If there is anyone who can help me better understand this process and what would work best for me, please do. I really am unsure how to go about taking the next step in this process, and would love to hear back from anyone who can help.
Thank you!
Edit: If on the crazy chance you’re curious about my academic background, I’ve posted another thread outlining my entire academic history.
There are some considerations for you. One, ED is only binding if the college and your family can make finances work. They cannot force your family to pay money it doesn’t have. So that should ease your mind a little. You will only be accepted ED if the college can provide the financial aid you need. In the ED round, there is more money available. Two, you have a lot in your favor, as a first gen student, and hispanic also, with good grades and ECs. I think they will want a student like you. You have a very good chance at getting into AU.
Just make sure that AU is test optional. I assume you have already. Go for it.
As Lindagraf noted, you are not bound by the early decision agreement if your financial aid package-- which American encloses with your letter of admission-- is inadequate to your needs. So, there is no harm in applying early!
American is a great school, but it neither is need-blind in admissions nor does it guarantee to meet all admitted students’ full financial aid. Give it a try but be ready to add some other colleges into the mix. Look for colleges that both are need-blind and meet full financial need.
Does American University’s net price calculator indicate that it is likely to be affordable? http://www.american.edu/financialaid/Net-Price-Calculator-Form.cfm
If not, it may not be worth applying if you will have to discard the admission due to it being too expensive.
I agree with the above. I’d certainly run the net price calculator to see if the school appears that it will be affordable. If not, I probably wouldn’t bother to apply ED.
I was hoping to ask you all though, will my decision to not show my test scores in this early decision process work against me if I decide to go for it? As the grad pointed out, I was told that the fact I’m providing less information than most may throw me out of league with the other applicants who have been ‘polished’ since September.
This was his reasoning. My question is, will this hurt me more in ED since I may be working against more passionate/polished/elite students during this admission phase? Or does it not really matter for RD or ED either way since the school holds a test-optional policy.
You may need to provide test scores to receive scholarships though, you should check, I’m pretty sure American requires test scores for certain scholarships.
Do you mind sharing with us your test scores? A 90% acceptance rate in ED means almost everyone gets accepted! That shouldn’t be seen as a negative that 10% don’t get in.
“Please note that applying to American University without submitting your standardized test scores will not affect your consideration for merit awards or admission to the AU Honors Program.”
“Prospective students may apply to American University through our Early or Regular Decision Plan without submitting standardized test scores. While tests help to predict your potential for success in college, your academic performance in the classroom is the most important factor in our review of your application. We also consider qualitative factors, such as your essay, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities.”
Thanks for pointing that out. If all which was written is true, then I suppose this should help in working towards my favor.
@Jpgranier, My SAT/ACT scores were poor. Standardized testing just wasn’t for me. I just excel better in the classroom. Here’s an image of my class grades if you are curious.
Try it! That us the reason they allow test optional. Some folks just don’t do well at it, but would otherwise be a great fit for them. They want a chance to see those applicants too.
Thanks for posting this, I checked the financial aid calculator and feel that the amount I would have to pay back is pretty reasonable. Considering the fact I’m also looking to pursue a military career through ROTC, I am hopeful in the fact that I’ll probably be able to cover the costs through the years.
My good friends daughter just got into AU ED1. She applied without sending scores. They requested no aid as AU is need aware. She did have strong leadership skills and visited the school 4 times as they really like kids who visit. My D is applying RD. I called them friday and they told me they are need aware. I am low income, so while she has a good shot based on her grades and scores, which are on the high end for AU, I worry the income thing will hurt. That being said, I think ED would have been a better shot, but she chose another for ED so we only have RD. As another poster said, ED does give you a free out if you just can’t afford what they offer, so make sure you apply to other schools as well. George Washington is also test optional but are not as need aware, my D applied there as well RD. A better location as well. Gotta take a shuttle to the train from AU to get to the main mall area of D.C. GMU might be a good choice and I think they are much better with merit and need aid. My friends D applied there EA, weeding no aid, and got $8k/yr such based on her good but not great grades. Hope this helps! Oh, she told me AU accepts only 25% of kids who apply w/out scores, even though ED is 80%, so not sure how that math works, lol.