Is Cornell easy or hard to do a dual degree program

<p>I'm a sophomore highschool student and a aspiring Cornell university student and I want to do a dual degree in history and mechanical engineering and I was wondering if Cornell was easy or hard to do a dual degree program and why it's easy or hard because it's on a semester system please comment thank you</p>

<p>I think it would be difficult to find anyplace that bestows ABET-accredited mechanical engineering degrees and
offers an option for a dual degree in history within the same overlapping four year period. That is because the
ABET engineering program course requirements are too stringent, you wouldn’t be able to fit all the requirements of a college of arts & sciences college and a history major within the same time period.</p>

<p>some options:</p>

<p>a) You can find colleges that bestow non- ABET “engineering science” degrees that have more course flexibility.
But the trade-off is your training on the engineering side will necessarily suffer. So you may wind up being compelled to spend an additional year studying what you missed in engineering.</p>

<p>b) You can find liberal arts colleges that don’t have engineering at all, that offer “3-2” programs with engineering colleges that result in two degrees in five years. These are not as good on the engineering side, IMO, as starting in engineering in the first place.</p>

<p>c) You can double major in physics and history within an arts & sciences college, and then apply for a master’s in mechanical engineering. However your training on the engineering side will be very light or non-existent. You may be required to take remedial coursework for your master’s program. And you may never learn some things that your employers may expect you to know, subsequently.</p>

<p>d) Alternatively you can undertake a conventional engineering program, take history courses with your free electives, and continue to read and take courses in history at night, for yucks, throughout your adult life.</p>

<p>e) As for what can be done at Cornell, in five years, I suggest asking these people:
<a href=“http://as.cornell.edu/academics/opportunities/dual-degree/”>http://as.cornell.edu/academics/opportunities/dual-degree/</a></p>

<p>Personally I don’t know anybody who has done this, probably because few people would pay an additional $110,000, or whatever it is now, for an arts & sciences degree that has virtually no value within the engineering field, and vica versa. I knew plenty of engineers with diverse interests, they all did d).</p>

<p>I attended an engineering Q&A session at Cornell last spring, and this question came up there. We were told that some people do double major with engineering and a liberal arts major, but it takes 5 years (at least) to accomplish this.</p>

<p>Thank you for your answer</p>

<p>So it wouldn’t be easy to to a dual degree program</p>

<p>IMO it wouldn’t be “easy” to do the subject dual degree program at any university that confers ABET-accredited engineering degrees, because, for one thing, it would take five+ years. I imagine it would be “easier” to do it at Cornell than at many other universities that don’t even have a formalized dual degree program though. </p>