Is falling into a sterotype bad?

<p>Consider the typical asian applicant: 800 Math, SAT of 2300+, 800 Math/science sat 2's, math team, and idk some sport asians do.</p>

<p>or a lot of tier 1 white applicants look like this
school newspaper
model UN
cross country</p>

<p>so anyways, does falling into a stereotypical student like this hurt your chances?</p>

<p>doing things you are passionate about is all that matters. it does help to differentiate yourself from the rest though.</p>

<p>right, so is differentiating yourself important?</p>

<p>"bad" as compared to what? </p>

<p>You obviously have great academic talent and unless something dramatic happens, you should have a very successful collegiate career. 90% of the country's colleges would knock themselves out trying to recruit you. You're most likely in the top 5% of graduating seniors. You're in a good way.</p>

<p>Now if you're talking about the ultra selective colleges, then it's another paradigm.</p>

<p>Do what you enjoy. Everything else will fall into place. I do imagine, however, that only participating in a math team and sport will not suffice if you are shooting for an extremely selective school.</p>

<p>T26E4, yes I am talking about ultra selective colleges. But thanks for the support</p>

<p>"or a lot of tier 1 white applicants look like this
school newspaper
model UN
cross country"</p>

<p>hmmm... model UN... check, cross country... check, school newspaper... nope. Good thing I don't contribute to stereotypes :P</p>

<p>good job scrivener</p>

<p>I read in one getting-into-college book that everyone falls into a stereotype; admissions officers need to categorize people to get a handle on their workload. The important thing is to figure out what "type" you are and the perceived weaknesses of that "type". Ex: jocks are dumb, geeks can't communicate; rich people are spoiled. Then use your essay or ECs to show that although you have the advantage of being athletic or smart or rich, you don't bring the stereotypical weaknesses as well. </p>

<p>That doesn't exactly answer your question, because you aren't trying to avoid perceived weaknesses, but maybe you should be. The weakness of your position is that you look like all the other applicants trying for the very elite colleges. So what makes you different? Even if you have exactly the same grades, test scores, and ECs, you have different experiences. You have a little brother or a grandmother or an interest in worm-racing. Use your essays to make yourself not a type, but a grandson who loves his grandmother and shows it by making her favorite soup once a month, or a sister who takes her little brother to the park (and secretly enjoys the merry-go-round).</p>

<p>Tell us which stereotype you think colleges will view you as. We could then help you with showing you don't bring those stereotypical weaknesses.</p>

<p>I'm an asian male, math team, chem club, tennis, high grades in math/science, had some B's in english as a frosh and sophomore so...yeah. What weaknessess am I trying to avoid here?</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>No matter what your race, in college admissions getting high SATs is never bad. I can't think of a single scenario where a low score is better than a high one.</p>

<p>Yeah coureur thats true, but I'm talking more about my EC's.</p>

<p>Just be yourself and do what you love, don't worry about morphing into a society-created image of a group they associate you with. </p>

<p>If that's the real you then so be it, as long as you're happy with it. </p>

<p>But by the looks of the things you say, you're not a good person anyway("your statement about the typical white applicant, etc") so I hope you'll never lead a happy life until you change.</p>

<p>chill.
10char</p>

<p>If you do somehow end up looking stereotypical, what might set you apart is your leadership in those activities, or what you've done to expand it, change it, etc.</p>