Is International Aid Meritocratic?

<p>I was wondering if international aid in selective institutions are totally meritocratic.</p>

<p>As far as I know, they will accept the international students first before actually calculating their financial aid. Or they are separate processes. </p>

<p>Anyways, say if 100 accepted international students applied for FA and only 50 can receive it, how will they determine who would get it? Is it by lottery/chance, or first-come-first-serve, or will they examine the apps again to see who are better still?</p>

<p>I got this question because I know Cornell accepts international students without even giving FA they applied for.</p>

<p>Each college/university sets its own policy about financial aid, and designs its own procedures. A student that is appealing to one institution, won't be to another. Some separate the admissions and aid processes for international applicants, others don't. If you want to know about the specific policy and processes at any given institution, email the international admissions office and ask. It really is OK to ask.</p>

<p>If you need a lot of aid in order to study in the US, go ahead and apply wherever you feel like, but do apply to at least one affordable institution where you are certain of admission in your home country.</p>

<p>
[quote]
As far as I know, they will accept the international students first before actually calculating their financial aid. Or they are separate processes.

[/quote]

It varies by school. Some schools are need blind, meaning they consider your application without taking into account whether you need aid or not. Other schools are need aware, meaning they do take into account whether you need aid when considering your application.</p>

<p>Some schools do not give any aid at all to International students (either need or merit). Others do give aid to International students. Some of those will meet full need. Others will not.</p>

<p>It varies by each school and you need to check with the schools you are interested in.</p>