Is is a bad thing to have the judges re-work your monologue during the audition?

<p>I'm just wondering if it is a bad or good thing when the judges rework your monologues during the audition? This happened to me twice. Once at my Ithaca audition and once at my Fordham audition. At Fordham they even asked me to present a third monologue. I'm just curious. The only thing more nerve wracking than the actual audition is waiting for the results.</p>

<p>Its a good thing. Its called an "adjustment". Its a way for the auditors to see how you respond to critique, if you are able to make adjustments with the critique, and if you are someone they would like to work with on a regular basis. You don't spend the time with someone unless you are interested. Obviously they were interested! :)</p>

<p>The Voice Teacher speaks words of wisdom and truth.</p>

<p>Haha, now you've got me worrying because my daughter was asked to do an extra monologue and sent to a second room at Fordham....but they did not work with her on her pieces. I wish I could just turn off the worrying center of my brain for the next 4-6 weeks.</p>

<p>As hard as it is, you cannot read anything into what we do in that room. Regarding my individual votes: In the past I have watched auditions and had nothing to say with no questions to ask and have Accepted, Wait-listed, and Rejected students in those situations. I have also worked with students for 15 minutes in an audition and Accepted, Wait-listed, and Rejected students in those situations. I have rejected very talented students with years of training from top notch performing arts schools whose attitudes were questionable, and I have accepted students with no training at all because there was obviously something incredible in there that could be pulled out. I have the gut feeling I have rejected people that could potentially have great careers down the road and I have accepted people who have disappointed upon arrival. The fine arts are very subjective, many artists face years of rejection before slowly climbing to the top of their field and staying employed for the rest of their careers. Others rocket to the top and then seem to fall off the face of the earth and cannot get hired to save their life. </p>

<p>All you can do is that which fulfills your soul and makes you happy. If you keep chasing that goal you will make something work out as long as you accept that it may be a slightly different end result than you originally intended.</p>

<p>What a GREAT post, Voice Teacher!! If there were a handbook for auditioning students it should be the front page. Thank you.</p>

<p>^^ wish we could "LIKE" posts. Very well said Voice Teacher! Coming from someone behind the table, I think this brings some reality to the experience.</p>

<p>Voice teacher, I am copying what you wrote and emailing it to my D and her friends. What fantastic advice. :)</p>

<p>My D was asked to rework one monologue because she was using a Southern accent for the part, and asked to present another monologue without an accent. We did not read much into that at all. </p>

<p>I think regardless of whether a school chooses you or not, it is a compliment when they are willing to take the time to work with you and critique you. Many if not most of these adjudicatory folk are working in the field and/or well known, so consider it a golden opportunity to be tutored by the best. </p>

<p>I also wish I could turn off the worrying until my D hears. Fortunately she has her Spring musical to work on so she is focusing on that rather than worrying. It's ok, I am doing it enough for both of us,lol.</p>

<p>Thank you all, I'm glad you found it useful. And PLEASE feel free to share it with anyone you like. I want to see these kids all succeed and I think they all can as long as they stay positive and keep looking for the positives in all that they do.</p>

<p>VT</p>

<p>Great post VoiceTeacher!</p>