Is it accurate to base your major on AP classes/exam scores?

<p>In other words, if I enjoyed an AP class during High School and got a good score on the exam (3/4), does it mean that I will enjoy a major in that field?</p>

<p>Enjoying a class is often a gateway into finding a major in college. Does it mean you will enjoy a major in that field? No, but it’s a helpful sign. Take classes in that subject in college and see if it’s really what you thought it was. I liked chemistry in high school because I did well in the subject, but found out in college that I really didn’t like chemistry. I had other friends who hated chemistry in high school and found out that they loved it in college. Explore different subjects and get a feel for what those fields actually entail. Freshmen introductory courses are often survey courses to give students an overview of the field.</p>

<p>Not necessarily, since there are many majors which are not related to, or only indirectly related to, the available AP courses and tests (or other high school courses). Also, the nature of the more advanced courses in college may be quite different from the nature of high school or AP courses in that subject.</p>

<p>AP Physics B (now 1 and 2) is a great way to tip the scales on which engineering major you’ll take though!
It converted me from a mechanical to an electrical engineer ;)</p>

<p>I think that an AP class you did well in is enough to indicate that you should take the next class in the sequence to explore it further. If you did well in Calc and Physics, then that may indicate that an engineering field might be good for you. If you loved Economics, explore that. If AP Lit interested you, takemore Lit classes in college.</p>

<p>I enjoyed AP BIo, AP Env. Science and AP Eng Lang and Lit, so I am not sure what to do with that…</p>

<p>Eh, I question this a little bit. I think how much you enjoy AP classes is largely dependent on the teacher since high school courses involve a lot of hand holding so your exposure to the material largely depends on how your instructor teachers, whereas in college, there is a lot of self-learning and your exploration of a field depends more on your own initiative. </p>