Is it easier for Asians to get into LACs?

compared to t20 unis

There are numerous LACs that are easier for everyone to get into than any of the “t20 unis” if you mean the USNWR Top 20 National Universities.

The answer to your question may be “it depends.” My family lives in Asia and a couple of years ago I attended a talk by an admissions representative from a large, prestigious Midwest university. Her advice was that an Asian student (she was talking about kids living in Asia, so maybe a little different from your question) would have some demographic advantage in applying to schools in the Midwest and the Northeast. I think that advice was probably sound, although I suspect the advantage may extend to Southern schools as well. These are the areas where you will find LACs that are seeking to increase the diversity of their student bodies, including by increasing the number of Asian students. On the other hand, a lot of the LACs on the West Coast already have a relatively high percentage of Asian students. Still, an awful lot of the kids we know were fixated on applying to the big West Coast universities - USC, UCLA, UCB, etc. - and that was a tough road. In applying to any school, I think the main issue for Admissions is what you bring to the school, as a student and as a person. Helping a school increase diversity may be one aspect of that, but it’s just one aspect, and I would recommend that you focus on your whole package of attributes and not get too fixated on the perceived disadvantages of being an Asian applicant.

For the top LACS such as Williams, Amherst, Pomona and Swarthmore, there is no “Asian advantage” as they receive as many Asian applicants as the top universities. For the mid tier LACs, it could make a difference at schools that may not be on Asian families radar screens. For example, Washington & Lee is an amazing and highly ranked school that may not receive as many Asian applications where you might have an advantage given the overall selectivity of the school and it academic ranking.

At some, yes. Asian students will increase their diversity and may be able to participate in their diversity recruiting programs. It really varies by school.

@TennisParent By mid tier schools do you mean like Bowdoin/Haverford/Smith?

@tkoparent thank you so much for your thorough response!! that’s very interesting.

Do you have data that back up this claim?

I hope not, Bowdoin has a lower acceptance rate (8.3% class of 2024) than Williams and Amherst. Amherst’s class of 2024 acceptance rate was 11.8%, haven’t seen Williams’ yet. Williams class of 2023 acceptance rate was 12.4%.

Acceptance rates are essentially reflections of colleges’ popularity and perceptions by applicants whether they could qualify. Tiering by acceptance rates is just problematic.

1 Like

Don’t disagree with that at all, I just used that data point to suggest the poster’s tiering was inaccurate.

Acceptance rate data is also variable based on certain levers that colleges can pull like eliminating application fees, and/or supplemental essays, and/or going test optional. Although virtually all schools are TO this year, so we won’t see the typical effect that has on application volume.

Yield can be a good metric to look at when considering where a college might fall in accepted applicants’ prioritized lists.

I have actually wondered the very same question as the original post. We frequently walk by or drive by Bowdoin, and visit the same stores and restaurants as Bowdoin students and their parents would visit. I do not see very many Asian students in Brunswick. If they are not applying, then they are missing a great small school, and it might (?) make it easier for an Asian student to get in up here. However, I have not looked for stats.

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=bowdoin&s=all&id=161004#enrolmt indicates that 7% of Bowdoin undergraduates are Asian.

This is higher than the 3.2% for Brunswick, 1.3% for Maine, and 5.9% for the US, according to https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US,ME,brunswickcdpmaine/PST045219 .

Does the NCES data cited above lump Asians and Asian-Americans together into one category?

Any student (of any race/ethnicity) who is a non-resident alien is listed in the “non-resident alien” category (7% at Bowdoin).

Also, Bowdoin lists 7% as “two or more races”, which is higher than that listed in the Census numbers for Brunswick, Maine, or the US.