Is it EASY or DIFFICULT to transfer to IVY LEAGUE colleges from community colleges?

<p>Hi! I have 4.186 this year. My parents think that Columbia, NYU, UPENN are</p>

<p>too expensive, especially I have three siblings who are freshman in high school. I'm just wondering if I go to community college, and transfer to IVY Leagues. IS it hard or easy?</p>

<p>What kind of GPA do I need and How do I prepare?</p>

<p>Much better to aim a little lower than the Ivy league and try to get a merit scholarship that could cover all your expenses--and still leave open a chance to transfer later. Although, many non-Ivies offer an outstanding education and many great opportunities. </p>

<p>If you post your full stats and field of interest, people here on CC can advise where you might qualify for merit aid.</p>

<p>I would imagine transferring to ANY Ivy League school from ANYWHERE is pretty difficult.</p>

<p>It depends as there are a number of schools that have Community college transfer opportunities or articulation agreements with local community colleges. It will take some searching on your part for individual schools, but they are there. Here are a few: </p>

<p>NYU has the CCTOP (Community College Transfer Opportunity Program ) through the steinhardt school of education</p>

<p>The Steinhardt School of Education especially encourages students from community colleges to complete their baccalaureate degrees in teacher education, health, nursing, communications, and the arts. Through the Community College Transfer Opportunity Program (CCTOP), the school has signed transfer agreements with numerous community colleges in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. These agreements enable associate's degree students from these colleges to transfer at least 60 credits toward the baccalaureate degree at the School of Education. Transfer agreements also exist for Nursing students from over thirty regional community colleges and hospital-based nursing programs.</p>

<p>To qualify for this program, applicants must meet the school's admission requirements. Special scholarships are available to students from selected community colleges. Students from other community colleges outside of the metropolitan area may request a preadmissions transfer credit evaluation of credits already completed toward the associate's degree. </p>

<p>Students transferring to The Steinhardt School of Education from:</p>

<p>Bergen Community College, Bronx Community College, Borough of Manhattan Community College, Housatonic Community-Technical College, Kingsborough Community College, LaGuardia Community College, Middlesex County College, Nassau Community College, Queensborough Community College, Rockland Community College, Suffolk County Community College or Westchester Community may be eligible to participate in our Community College Transfer Opportunity Program (CCTOP). </p>

<p><a href="http://education.nyu.edu/steinhardt/db/ugad/1008%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://education.nyu.edu/steinhardt/db/ugad/1008&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Eligibility Requirements</p>

<p>You are eligible to transfer to NYU through The Community College Transfer Opportunity Program (CCTOP) if you are currently attending or have recently graduated from one of the participating community colleges, have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher, have at least 48 transferable credits (30 of which must be from the participating community college), intend to study full time in The Steinhardt School of Education, and are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Students who have already earned a bachelor's degree are not eligible.</p>

<p><a href="http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/steinhardt/db/ugad/1009%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/steinhardt/db/ugad/1009&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>*Columbia University has the Serrano Scholars Program *</p>

<p>**Overview **</p>

<p>The Serrano Scholars Program is a unique partnership of public and private institutions of higher education that aims to encourage and prepare college students from diverse ethnic backgrounds to enter careers in international affairs and national security. Founded in 2001, the Serrano Scholars Program joins Hostos Community College with Columbia University's School of General Studies (GS) and School of International & Public Affairs (SIPA) to provide participants with the educational and professional background necessary for leadership roles in foreign affairs and national defense. </p>

<p>Graduates from Hostos Community College are eligible to apply to GS to complete a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) degree. Upon successful completion of the undergraduate degree, Serrano Scholars may apply for admission to SIPA to earn a Master of International Affairs (MIA) or Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree. </p>

<p>Funded by grants from the United States Departments of State, Education, and Defense, the Serrano Scholars Program honors Congressman Jos</p>

<p>WOw, thank you so much guys. It helps a lot! I also want to save as much money as possible when I go to IVY LEAGUE.</p>

<p>I think you should stop thinking about the Ivys and start thinking about affordable colleges that you actually are interested in. There are a lot of great state schools that are cheap if you're in state and lots of colleges a tier lower who would love to have and be generous with an applicant at a higher level than they normally get. Transferring from CC to a high level school is always difficult.</p>

<p>I am concerned that you do not actually list what you want out of college. The Ivys are a lot different from each other in philosophy, environment, and opportunities. Identify the traits you want in a college (including affordability), and go from there.</p>

<p>I agree with corranged and pye --- There are many excellent schools out there, not just the Ivy schools. You are selling yourself short AND missing opportunities if you are not willing to consider a broad range of options. </p>

<p>There are several things you need to keep in mind:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Admissions rates for transfer students at most of the Ivy league schools are MUCH LOWER than they are for freshmen. In other words, if only an Ivy will do, your best chances for getting into one may indeed be applying as a freshman, not a transfer.</p></li>
<li><p>You also need to consider whether your family will qualify for financial aid--- if so, it may actually be to your advantage to apply as a freshman if a particular school is your top choice.</p></li>
<li><p>As a transfer student, you will miss out on many excellent opportunties for merit awards at non-Ivy schools because most schools do not offer their top merit awards to transfers. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>I guess the question you have to ask yourself is: If I go the community college route for two years and then don't get into an Ivy will I regret my decision? </p>

<p>Don't get me wrong - I think the community college route can be a good choice for some people, but weigh all the information, including the quality of the the education you'll receive for the two years, missing out on traditional college life, and your other goals, before you make this decision.</p>

<p>why not just go to SUNY (or your state school) for 2 years?</p>