Is it okay to take second year classes in third year?

<p>I've been away from my uni for a year and i'm now going back in January to start my 3rd year. For third year, do you only choose classes in your major alone? I'm majoring in Philosophy and just doing a general 4-year Philosophy degree.. My school only offers three third year classes in my major for next semester! I've chosen all three and i'm trying to take two more. I'll be taking one language class (i've been taking some language classes since first yr), but it would be a second year class Also, i've found out the majority of fourth year classes are for the Honours students in Philosophy; they're all seminar classes. So even when i get to fourth year, I will have trouble taking fourth year classes as i'm just doing the general 4-yr. How would my transcript look when grad schools see i was in 3rd year and took second year classes and 4-th year and took 3rd year classes? This's essentially what i'm worried about, as i would like to pursue grad studies, in another field.</p>

<p>As long as you are making progress toward your degree it is no problem. You might wish to pick up a minor, particularly since there is only a small choice of upper level philosophy classes. This would require you to take some second year courses. Talk to your advisor about it.</p>

<p>I have never heard college classes being classified as 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th year classes. (Some colleges do number their courses 100 through 499 but the course number usually corresponds to features of the course, not the year it's meant to be taken in.) </p>

<p>So no, don't worry about taking 2nd year courses in your 3rd year or 3rd year classes in your 4th year. College students take courses in random orders all the time!</p>

<p>I second the idea with the minor. When I was still in college, I needed to take a few courses outside of my major every semester to stay sane and interested in academics. A minor can be fun and it might even make you a stronger grad school applicant (if it's related to your grad school plans)!</p>