Is it worth a visit?

<p>I am planning on doing some college visits this summer.</p>

<p>I am already going to go visits Stanford, USC and Brown, but their programs also include information sessions and some student/department interaction. However, I was wondering if it would be worth taking a flight to say, Princeton U and UPenn just for a campus tour?</p>

<p>My logic tells me that buildings will not attract me to a university, but its people would. If I were to visit them during the summer, when students are not really active at that time, would it be worth it [expenses and probably to help the "Why X university" essay]?</p>

<p>It's always better to visit during the school year so you get a real flavor for the school.</p>

<p>Rather than flying to another city maybe you should get more out of the Providence/Boston area and visit some schools a little easier to get into than Brown. Brandeis, Tufts (although not much easier), Wellesley (if appropriate). Or try to see a liberal arts school or two in that area for comparison. (90 minutes by train, I think, to Bowdoin. 90 minutes to Amherst). If you get into both Princeton and Brown you can always visit for the admitted student days.</p>

<p>@ Erin's Dad: I wish I had time to visit during the year! Unfortunately, by then, my schedule will be packed, and I think getting into college at that point will be a priority, more than actually seeing it :(</p>

<p>@ Hitch123: I hope I am so fortunate as to be able to visit the admitted student days! At this time I can only afford [time-wise] to stay for a weekend. I wish my schedule was not nearly as busy, but it's turned out this way.</p>

<p>bump 10chars</p>

<p>bump 10chars</p>

<p>
[Quote]
It's always better to visit during the school year so you get a real flavor for the school.

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>That's really tough to do for a lot of people.</p>

<p>Yes, at that time, my dad would probably have time to take me, but I would be busy with school---especially since it has a rigid protocol with absences...</p>

<p>any other insights would be greatly appreciated :)</p>

<p>I reiterate what everyone has already said about visiting during the school year.</p>

<p>Hmm...it might be able to work out if your school somehow happens to have a 3 day weekend or some day off that most colleges don't have. ie most public schools have some sort of teacher preparation day that can make a 3 day weekend.</p>

<p>I'd also recommend to stay overnight with a student if possible at one of the schools. It'll give you a better sense of student life other than the guided tours which are censored to some degree ie the people given tours probably can't say everything that they could or want.</p>

<p>If you do make it to Brown, you could take Amtrack to Princeton and Penn. the train station in Providence is about 10 minutes away from the Brown campus. It's a lot more convenient than flying and less wear and tear. (this is what I did w/ my son during his spring break in March.) But, as Hitch mentioned, there are lots of schools not far from Brown going toward Boston -- Brandeis, Holy Cross, Clark (a possible safety?) and of course, many more in Boston.</p>

<p>@ TevashSzat: I am considering that route-taking advantage of a 3-day weekend. However, I plan to participate in the Questbridge National College Match Program, so I would like an informed decision on my part as to which place would be most enjoyable, if I am so fortunate as to be matched :)</p>

<p>@ RenaissanceMom: Thanks for the idea! It sounds good, but I don't know how doable that would be in one weekend. Time is really limited. I'm beginning to regret taking summer school, even though the credits are required---I could've used the time for college visits :(</p>