Is Nuclear Engineering as intense as it sounds?

<p>I was considering majoring in NE, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. It's pretty tough to find info on the forum about NE because there are so few people majoring in it. Is it tough to keep a 3.5+ gpa in NE? I want to go to UIllinois, btw. What are your thoughts?</p>

<p>Think of it like ChemE, but harder.</p>

<p>Any engineering major is going to be intense. If you want to pursue NE, then go for it but be prepared to put in a lot of effort and time. It will require a significant amount of work to maintain a high gpa in any engineering major. I wouldn't say NE is any more intense than other majors like cheme, ee, or meche for instance so don't be too intimidated. Most freshmen will be in the same position as you so don't worry too much.</p>

<p>I totally agree with both Mr. Payne and Me 76.
Nuclear engineering is really tough. Also, this engineering study is not offer in that many schools in the States.
Check it out here.
<a href="http://www.univsource.com/nuclear.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.univsource.com/nuclear.htm&lt;/a>
Last revised back in 2004.</p>

<p>All right thanks guys. Pretty much the reaction what I was expecting.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Think of it like ChemE, but harder.

[/quote]

The only specialization on the level of ChemE (or EE) is plasma/fusion. The rest are not particularly difficult compared to other engineering majors. Those nuclear engineers learn about reactor design, power systems, safety, and environmental issues with little QM, field theory, HEP etc. that we normally associate with nuclear physics (the heaviest physics is actually in thermodynamics). Others take bio courses and go into medical applications and instrumentation. If anything, it's less intense than it sounds.</p>

<p>Still sounds cool though. :D</p>

<p>I heard Nuclear Engineering is more similar to ME than ChemE</p>

<p>Check out PSU nuclear engr curriculum. It's actually easier than Chem E (probably not true for grad) in my opinion.</p>

<p>It is a very personal when one speaks of difficulties.</p>

<p>My son is a grad student getting his MS in mechE and a nuclear engineering certificate. <em>From what I can see</em>, he puts in about 15 hours of work per week on a 3 hour nuke class, more or less. Sometimes, the homework is done relatively easily, sometimes they can't do a single problem in 5 hours...sort of like all engineering work. It is difficult, but probably not more difficult than any other classes. In fact, he finds it to be very interesting and may ultimately work in that industry.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I heard Nuclear Engineering is more similar to ME than ChemE

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This is the impression I've always been under as well.</p>

<p>If you're specifically interested in the physics of nuclear reactors and weapons and so forth, consider a physics minor. Or an engineering physics degree with a specialization in nuclear engineering.</p>

<p>To clafiy something:
nuclear engineering does not mean that you only work in a nuclear plant LMAO</p>