Is Obama Anti-AA?

<p>So when I finally got around to seeing Obama's race speech, I found a part which particularly stood out to me:</p>

<p>"So when [white people] are told to bus their children to a school across town; when they hear that an African American is getting an advantage in landing a good job or a spot in a good college because of an injustice that they themselves never committed; when they're told that their fears about crime in urban neighborhoods are somehow prejudiced, resentment builds over time.</p>

<p>"Like the anger within the black community, these resentments aren't always expressed in polite company. But they have helped shape the political landscape for at least a generation. Anger over welfare and affirmative action helped forge the Reagan Coalition. Politicians routinely exploited fears of crime for their own electoral ends. Talk show hosts and conservative commentators built entire careers unmasking bogus claims of racism while dismissing legitimate discussions of racial injustice and inequality as mere political correctness or reverse racism."</p>

<p>By saying this, Obama is generally saying that affirmative action is racially divisive. But this is exactly what Obama has based his entire campaign on: creating unity and destroying division. I just found it interesting and would like to see what other people have to say on the issue, especially since the topic of AA seems to pop up on CC constantly.</p>

<p>I certainly got the impression that he was.</p>

<p>It is extremely hard to say. While he has been called a "firm believer in affirmative action" and "a consistent supporter of affirmative action" by The Chronicle for Higher Education, he oscillates on the issue and hides his true position behind fluffy and meaningless rhetoric. See this excellent and hard-hitting [url=<a href="http://www.discriminations.us/2007/11/obama_forthrightly_opposes_the.html%5Dpost%5B/url"&gt;http://www.discriminations.us/2007/11/obama_forthrightly_opposes_the.html]post[/url&lt;/a&gt;] from a prominent anti-AA blog.</p>

<p>There is, however, little a president can actually do about the issue. No political will exists in this country for major advances on either side stemming from the executive office.</p>

<p>
[quote]
By saying this, Obama is generally saying that affirmative action is racially divisive.

[/quote]

Yes, but it should not be as racially divisive as it is. The reason why it is divisive right now is because of ignorance. You have to listen to the rest of his speech. He was talking about how there needs to be more dialog between races so that America becomes less racially divided.</p>

<p>NewJack88, I agree. What I gleaned from the speech is that race and racial issues (I prefer cultural) are multi-layered and not a problem to be solved, but an issue that requires constant dialogue.</p>

<p>Personally.......I don't really care.</p>