Is Rice separated by colleges?

<p>I've been looking around, and I can't figure out of the Rice University is split into academic colleges, ie, arts, humanities, engineering, where you're limited in what curriculum you can take, or if what they call colleges are just departments. I know one of their application supplements says something like, whatever college you declare is non-binding. Hoping someone at Rice or someone familiar with it could clear things up.</p>

<p>Not to worry, this can definitely get very confusing for prospective applicants.</p>

<p>For one, it's important to distinguish between academic colleges (School of Social Sciences, for example) and residential colleges. Residential colleges is a whole area of student life that I won't go into, but it can get confusing because some residential colleges (Wiess) share a name with an academic college (Wiess School of Natural Sciences).</p>

<p>Rice is separated into academic colleges: Rice University School of Architecture, George R. Brown School of Engineering, Rice University School of Humanities, Shepherd School of Music, Wiess School of Natural Sciences, Rice University School of Social Sciences, Jones Graduate School of Management, and Glasscock School of Continuing Studies. with the exception of the last two, these are all open to undergrads.</p>

<p>When you apply to Rice, you apply to a specific academic college. Each college has departments and majors within it, though there is a TON of interdisciplinary work and even interdisciplinary majors/minors. So, if you apply to Engineering, you will be evaluated within the context of all the other applicants who applied to Engineering.</p>

<p>Once you're at Rice, it's very easy to switch between most Schools. For example, I applied to Natural Sciences (I'm premed and thought I'd be a Biochem major) but am now a Sociology major and firmly entrenched in the School of Social Sciences. The only exception to this "fluidity" is Music and Architecture, both of which you are accepted into separately and can't just switch into once you get to Rice. However, you CAN switch out of them once you get to Rice (having already been accepted into them).</p>

<p>hopefully this makes sense. Does this answer your questions?</p>

<p>It most definitely does. Thank you very much!</p>

<p>What we call colleges at Rice are essentially dorms. (like Harry Potter more like it) You are assigned to a college and you are at that college for 4 years (even if you live off campus).</p>

<p>These colleges are more for living and having fun than anything else. They are independent of your classes and major completely</p>

<p>Is transferring from the general college to engineering or vice versa as simple as checking a box? Do I have to wait a year?</p>

<p>you dont transfer. Our "colleges" are a play thing. A joke essentially. Just for fun and games</p>

<p>You can transfer from One department to another (like History to Civil Engineering) by declaring your major during soph year or just changing it whenever. </p>

<p>Our colleges are for residence and have nothing to do with academics.</p>

<p>P.S This isnt a res. college yay or nay thread. I was merely clarifying the difference from a university and academic perspective</p>

<p>I believe that you can just sign up for the classes for whatever major you want (excepting the music conservatory or architecture department), and then yes, it's as simple as checking a box. No, you don't have to wait a year. (Rice students, correct me if I am wrong!)</p>