Is running a charity a good EC?

<p>Long story short, I run a charity that raises money to buy cows for families in rural Kenya. Does this "count?" I'm not doing it just because I think it will make me look good for college; I don't even know for a fact that it will. So... I feel kind of dumb, but yeah, does it look okay for some of these schools: Bowdoin, Pomona, Amherst, Beloit, NYU, UW-Seattle, UChicago?</p>

<p>Sorry, and thank you.</p>

<p>Yeah, so I'm gonna bump this...</p>

<p>What is your position in the aforementioned charity?
What are your accomplishments/jobs?</p>

<p>Umm, I started it? The whole thing was my idea, and (along with a social worker in my district) I manage the project.</p>

<p>I basically try and find ways to raise funds, I send the money to my contact in the village(s), I went to Kenya in August to make sure it was all going well. We went on the radio. Also, the goal at the start was to get special ed kids more involved so I helped them out too.</p>

<p>Anyone else?</p>

<p>Yeah I would think so. I would maybe try and incorporate your experience in your essay.</p>

<p>Depends. If you just list it and do nothing else, it may look like one of those "resume-boosters" that looks like you did it just to make yourself look good. But if you can write a convincing essay about it that displays passion, it could end up being the difference between acceptance and rejection.</p>

<p>Ha I'm starting to like you, geekorathletic, I was about to say the same exact thing.</p>

<p>Yeah pretty much make it sound as great as you make it out to be. If you just say "I founded a charity" and leave it at that, RED FLAG. If you write a compelling essay that portrays your passion for your work, then you're set.</p>

<p>This sounds awesome, and far more involved than the usual smattering of Habitat houses and mission trips most kids accumulate. Still, like geek said, you need to make sure that all of your work is presented passionately and intelligently; adcoms need to know </p>

<p>
[quote]
I started it? The whole thing was my idea, and (along with a social worker in my district) I manage the project.</p>

<p>I basically try and find ways to raise funds, I send the money to my contact in the village(s), I went to Kenya in August to make sure it was all going well. We went on the radio. Also, the goal at the start was to get special ed kids more involved so I helped them out too.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>all of this, in detail.</p>

<p>^glassesarechic, golfer111, geekorathletic...
I am starting to think you guys actually represent ONE person... which is really freaky because you guys always comment in a row.</p>

<p>I hope this is a mere coincidence.</p>

<p>^ Yes, it's a coincidence. I know for a fact that geek and glasses are two separate people. :) And in response to the OP, I second everything geek said (post #7).</p>

<p>Hahaha yeah we're definitely different people, trust me. I guess the fact that our user names start with "g" doesn't help either?</p>

<p>:) hahahahahahaha</p>

<p>
[quote]
I am starting to think you guys actually represent ONE person... which is really freaky because you guys always comment in a row.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>hahahaha. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time on my hands to create two other user accounts to agree with me.</p>

<p>Yeah, I didn't mean it that way.
Pure coincidence, but sometimes so freaky! :)</p>

<p>Wow, thanks a lot guys. I've definitely got a lot to say about it, and I like to think writing is a strong suit of mine. Do you think it's okay to have a GPA around 3.6+ if I have good leadership and I write about this charity (which means a hell of a lot to me; my life has maning now and I've met countless incredible individuals thanks to my involvement/creation of this project).</p>

<p>I'm gone for a week and you people start developing freakish thoughts... oh the wonders of Internet.</p>