Is that true that FAFSA money can only be spent for school related stuffs ?

<p>Hi,
This year I was awarded Pell Grant $5550 and WorkStudy $3000. Can I use that money to buy a laptop . a desktop, a len for my camera, a plane ticket to foreign country( I am a green card holder in US and I just have been in US for like 2 years, I still have my friend and family in my homecountry so I want to go back like 2 months to visit them, and I will spend money there). Yes it sounds not appropriate when using US's money to spend on another country, but they are my family i need to visit them. Will FAFSA consider it is not appropriate then they will take away my award ? If so, can I use my WorkStudy (considered as the money that I made) to spend on that trip ? Does FAFSA really care what I spent FAFSA money on ?
Thank you.</p>

<p>If you use the money to buy a laptop, desktop, lens for your camera and a plane ticket to a foreign country how are you planning to pay for college? For the work study you will actually have to find a job and work each week and will be awarded money each week in the form of a paycheck. The pell grant will be given to your school to pay your billable costs. You will only receive half in the fall and then half in the spring. If there is any left over after your tuition. fees etc have been paid it will be refunded to you and you may spend that on whatever you like. If the pell grant is your only aid I really would'nt be expecting to get much of a refund though.</p>

<p>How did you legitimately qualify for a Pell Grant if you have the money to pay for college without using that Pell Grant?</p>

<p>As noted, you will only receive Pell Grant money IF you have a surplus in your bursars account at your college...and that typically does not happen until after the last drop/add date at the college (so they don't give money to students who don't end up being enrolled). The check is not sent to you...it's sent to the school. You don't get work study money up front...you need to earn it.</p>

<p>Yes, the money i mentioned , which I will use to buy those stuffs is the leftover after paying all tuition and books and supplies. I am sorry I did not mentioned that. And yeah, it is not much, those stuffs are things I plan to buy within 2 or 3 years, I will save up the leftover to buy those. So, if it's the leftover FAFSA money at the end of the school year, I can spend it on whatever I want ?
Best Regard.
Thanks a lot.</p>

<p>Yes, if it's truly leftover after all of your costs are paid, you can use it for whatever you want. The Pell is an entitlement for low income students (most of them NEED it to pay for costs associated with school). You will need to contact YOUR school to ask how they go about refunding excess funds...and when.</p>

<p>Again I ask...how are you paying tuition/books and supplies? Assuming you have the money for these things...yes...you can use the Pell Grant as you please, but you will get 1/2 of it well into the first term...and the second half WELL into the second term. </p>

<p>You won't get the work study money until you get a job and earn the money. Are you saying you are buying a laptop AND a desktop? Why...I know you aren't asking for opinions here but you are supposedly a VERY low income student (receiving the Pell would indicate this). That being the case, I can't imagine spending my money on something as frivolous as a new lens for my camera, or TWO computers. Sorry...you might want to rethink this as you may need this money for legitimate school expenses in the future. If your family really has the money to pay your costs, you might not QUALIFY for Pell aid in the future...maybe you should bank the money while you can.</p>

<p>I don't know why you are so angry like that. Yes, I am a very low-income student. My family do not have the ability to pay for college so I am receiving Pell Grant, you are right. I am attending a community college which it's tuition just about $1000-1500 per semester not a fancy University with$30000-$50000 per year. I paid $300 for the books and supplies this semester, which is not much. I am working under WorkStudy program and receiving paychecks. So, as you can see, at the end of the year the leftover PROBABLY $500 or more if I did not miscalculate. And yes, I even think about saving up that leftover money to pay for University so I do not have to borrow a lot of money. As I said, those stuffs I plan to buy in like 2-3 more YEARS, not just in THIS YEAR. Those stuffs are what I need. I do NOT throw FAFSA money in like ROLEX watch, PRADA purse for my GF, or fancy car......etc. Don't you have any hobby ? goal ? stuffs that you wish to have ? the len I want to buy just $300 not the thousands dollars kinds.</p>

<p>Yes, you can use the money that is refunded to you for any purpose you choose.</p>

<p>I'm not angry...just want to be sure that you have enough money to pay for all of your college needs.</p>

<p>If you have $500 left at the end of the term, you can use it as you please.</p>

<p>Thank you for your information. I am glad that my question was answered. I am sorry that probably I misunderstood your words so I thought you were angry, my bad.Again, thanks for your concern, thanks for spending your time to answer my question, it doesn't usually get answered this soon. I will try to use the grant most on my college needs.
Wish you luck and happiness,
Wayne.</p>