Is there a school you WOULDN'T want your kid to go to?

<p>I hear good thing about lots of different schools around this board. Seems like every school is "great" here. However, are there some schools that you wouldn't want your kid to go to, assuming they won't put your kid into huge amounts of debt?</p>

<p>Schools that teach creation biology outside the philosophy dept. Schools where the football coach makes more than the president. Schools which consider the salad bar to be enough "vegetarian" option.</p>

<p>Marin County Community College. All of the On-Line schools.</p>

<p>Any school where Greek life dominates. Any school famous for its partying.</p>

1 Like

<p>Wouldn't the first cuts be:</p>

<ul>
<li>Schools in the US which are not regionally accredited.</li>
<li>Schools which are too expensive (cost constraints should be discussed before application season).</li>
</ul>

<p>

</p>

<p>There does not appear to be a "Marin County Community College", although there is a College of Marin. If that is what you are referring to, what in particular is wrong about it compared to other community colleges?</p>

<p>Yes. SMU and Arizona State were my two "never-in-a-million-years-will-I-pay-for-them" schools. Luckily, my kids were able to do far better.</p>

<p>Yes. </p>

<p>Any below their academic capability as per freshman entrance stats (where my guys would be FAR above their top 25%). Mine are in the top 25% where they have applied, but it would be difficult for them not to be. I just don't want them really, really far above.</p>

<p>Any rated with red lights by ISI for conservative political tolerance.</p>

<p>That leaves plenty of options.</p>

<p>Any school way below their potentional. Any school who has a "department of wow" and sells itself on it's swimming pools, beach volleyball and ice cream trucks driving around the campus. If I wanted my kids to hang out at country clubs I'd just get them a membership. There is actually a school like that.</p>

<p>For profit schools. Online schools. Schools I can't pay for (way too expensive). Otherwise, kids get out of a school what they put into it, so I would fund quite a few choices.</p>

<p>Yes, any school where there is more than a typical amount of drug use. (S did not seemingly attend such a school, but the year he chose a substance-free dorm and the RA in the room next door to him smoked pot every day was pretty bad. Also, had he not wisely declined a nomination for a leadership position in his fraternity, he would have been dragged into a huge mess involving a cocaine bust his senior year. Can't imagine what life would be like at a school KNOWN for drug use.)</p>

<p>Any school which has "Naked ________" anything as a time-honored tradition tolerated by the administration. This would seem to be a good litmus test for a lot of stuff I wouldn't like much.</p>

<p>Any school from which we know no graduates who have a "real" job. </p>

<p>A 4-year college or university the high school guidance counselor says he can always get ANY student admitted to.</p>

1 Like

<p>Some online schools are rigorous and excellent. They are affordable, can be done on the students' schedules (great for parents and full-time workers), and allow for a lot of independent work for students who are responsible. Reputable schools (Harvard Extension for example, state universities, alternative schools like Union Institute, and many others) are now offering courses online or in blended formats. Obviously, they do not offer the residential experience, but online classes are enabling many non-traditional students to finish their degrees. I think that online classes will probably continue to grow on campuses everywhere, for the foreseeable future. I tried one and loved it, and it was more demanding than a classroom experience.</p>

<p>I was a grad student at U Michigan and for that reason would never send a child there for undergraduate. I have seen firsthand how little the big name, tip top researchers actually care about teaching undergraduates. Probably not Oberlin -- the one person we know who went there arrived as a man and later decided he was really a woman and went on to have surgery. I would like all of my children to finish college with the same gender that they started with. (You can call me a fuddy duddy if you want . . )</p>

<p>Wherever you come down on the issue of transgender, do you really think "If only he hadn't attended Oberlin..."?</p>

<p>Any school with a huge party scene, drug scene, or predominant Greek life. Bob Jones, Liberty, or anything with fundamentalist religious leanings. Any school where my child wouldn't be academically challenged.</p>

<p>Good point. I'll add Bible Colleges to my list.</p>

<p>Any school which has "Naked ________" anything as a time-honored tradition tolerated by the administration. This would seem to be a good litmus test for a lot of stuff I wouldn't like much.</p>

<p>So thats a no to the Ivies then.</p>

<p>^would you cross Stanford off your list then, considering their football coach makes much more than the president?</p>

<p>I wouldn't have mentioned it, if I didn't mean it.</p>

<p>Agree with any Bible College (DS is an atheist), any school with subpar science facilities and any school where he can't reasonably expect to graduate in 4 years taking a normal class load.</p>

<p>Great thread...so many things I never even thought of...</p>

<p>So how does one know if its a school where there is heavy drug use? Or one that has a less than stellar science department? Is it as easy as calling up the admissions office and asking "Hi, this is so and so, is the science dept crappy? or "Whats the percentage of students that use/sell drugs?"...LOL Aside from this futile tactic, how does a parent really know?</p>