Is there a way to have things delivered directly to the dorm for a freshman?

<p>S is going to attend Pitt as a freshman this fall and we live on the West coast, so driving to Pittsburgh with all his belongings is not an option, the same way carrying a lot of stuff on the plane isn't either. I was wondering if anybody else who faced this problem in the past knows of a way to have items delivered directly to the dorm, for example. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>My thoughts exactly. We are flying in from Dallas and I believe practically we can only have two large suitcases and it gets cold in Pittsburgh. So can anyone tell us:
1. How much can we practically keep in a dorm room
2. Is there anyway to get stuff shipped to the residence hall once you know where you are going to live and have them hold it safely until the last PittStart
3. Is there a place where you can store stuff during the summer when you must vacate the Dorm rooms other than looking at private storage?</p>

<p>I don't know if Pitt will keep things prior to your moving in. Students do have a mailbox, however, and I've seen people with large packages in the mailroom.</p>

<p>I don't believe there is a Pitt-sponsored alternative to private storage.</p>

<p>There are plenty of private storage options with student discounts. Just search around on the Internet. I was looking at one called Guardian. At the end of the year, some of the kids go together and rent a space for all of their stuff--and someone in the group will have a parent who can bring a vehicle to move it all to storage.</p>

<p>The trick I think is to pack a couple of boxes for later shipment. It doesn't get cold right away. I don't think my daughter used her real winter coat until second semester.</p>

<p>Freshmen all live in the same dorms, so no one keeps the same room for sophomore year. </p>

<p>I can also tell you that my daughter took way too much stuff. She is heading back to Pitt Saturday for a summer language program and she is in the process of minimizing what she takes. </p>

<p>The kids also take buses to Target and pick up things they need. You can rent a refrigerator/microwave combination, which I recommend because then you don't have to haul that, and some of the sophomore dorms are apartments, so the fridge is only needed one year.</p>

<p>A friend's daughter went from the East Coast to Colorado to school. Both parents and the daughter packed two suitcases with D's things and they flew out together. One thing to note: the daughter planned to camp in Colorado, so she packed one of those Sterno -type burners in her luggage. The FAA or whoever overseas such things was not amused when they found it in the luggage search. Soooo, remind dariling child to not pack anything that is flammable.</p>

<p>My older son went to RMU just outside of Pittsburgh, we live in NY and I was not doing an 8 hour drive with a car full of stuff.</p>

<p>We went to our local Bed Bath and Beyond - they have a program like a registry. You go through the store, pick out what you need, tell them where you want to pick it up. When we got to Pitt everything was ready and boxed for us, we added other stuff we needed, took out what we did not want, and then paid in Pittsburgh. Was as easy as it could be.</p>

<p>We did this in Robinson Town Center, there is also a Costco, Best Buy, Target, Ikea etc so you can get whatever you need there.</p>

<p>We are going to do the same for Pitt. Bring his clothing on the plane, preorder what we can at bed and Bath, rent an SUV or Mini Van and do it all there.</p>

<p>We are flying in on the 23rd so we can do a lot of it that day, and finish up on the 24th once he is in his room and sees what else he needs.</p>

<p>Anything else, he can do one of the Target trips.</p>

<p>If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you, I highly recommend this. Not sure if you can do it through their site or not.</p>

<p>Also, collect their 20% off coupons - they never expire and you can use one for each item that you purchase.</p>

<p>Counting down to August,</p>

<p>Dorm Rooms in Towers are small. However, the beds can be raised high and many storage units can be stored under the bed. I suggest the rubbermaid drawer units.
Also, I suggest closet extenders- they will double your hanging space in your closet.
Also crates to stack on the top shelf can be filled with sweaters, sweats, and jeans. Purchase some hooks for towels and robes and put them on the back of the door. Also, some hooks for winter coats will be useful as well. The closet is a decent size for a dorm. There is no door on the Tower closets. So, you can purchase an extension shower rod and some hooks and a curtain to keep your things concealed. A footlocker at the bottom of the bed is useful for holding towels, linen, and other items you don't need easy access to.
You can ship to the dorm. Call PantherCentral and they will tell you what to do. There are plenty of storage rental options in the Oakland area. There is also a shipping company that will pack, ship, and deliver your items to your dorm. I noticed many of the trucks on campus on move in day.
There is also a UPS right next to Towers, call them and even ask them to hold the items for you.
Also, Pittsburgh has every store you need to furnish your dorm room. You can also UPS the boxes(boots, winter items) to your student after he/she moves in. That way the shipping department will not be so overwhelmed and your "stuff" will get delivered quicker and less chance of loss or misplacement.
Have fun!
Pitt is great!</p>

<p>Lots and lots of great advice--thank you! The excitement is mounting in our household :)</p>

<p>I would pack light enough that UPS becomes a viable option, for delivery during the move-in period.</p>

<p>Might be worth checking Greyhound, too. There is a bus station downtown and if you are renting a car from the airport anyway, you can pick up the shipment downtown, drive onto campus, and unload in a madhouse just like the rest of us freshman parents.</p>