Is there much of the culture shock by not having your parents around??

<p>You know about bunch of 18 year olds with no parental supervision, so is there much to expect in a culture shock in the first month or two of college?</p>

<p>For some, yes. For others, no.</p>

<p>Seriously depends on the person. For me, it wasn’t too bad.</p>

<p>For others, it was terrible.</p>

<p>And it’s really hard to tell who’s going to have the problems and who isn’t.</p>

<p>For me it wasn’t. I really liked it because I was only responsible for myself and I didn’t have to work with or around my family’s schedule.</p>

<p>For me it wasn’t because I was raised pretty independent but you would be surprised how crazy 18 year olds get when there is no one to supervise them. Usually it is a mix of doing stupid things (learning experiences I guess), getting into the wrong things (even drugs but usually this is late into the experience I think), and actually being homesick. </p>

<p>Add in the stress of doing well in school (for those who actually care about doing well) and you have a unique experience.</p>

<p>Regardless, it is definitely something that you should take with a grain of salt. Moving to college brings different experiences for every individual. I had a lot of fun my first year of college. If anything you should be excited for how much you will learn about yourself and the world in the next year</p>

<p>For freshman absolutely… The majority of kids at UD are spoiled white kids who likely had a bit of a leash on them when they were under their parents’ roof. They come to UD, and yes we have a rather large party scene, and go nuts because they have no restrictions. There are people who are more mature, yes, but I think the majority of freshman will travel around in groups for the first couple of months searching on the weekends to “socialize” because everything is new. And you should if you want the “full college experience.” It is fun, but can be a drag on your grades. Go crazy in moderation, use your head, but don’t overwhelm yourself with work.</p>

<p>bumping time</p>

<p>I’ve experienced culture shock before, but definitely not in my transition to college. I guess for some it might be. For me, it was actually a more structured environment than I was used to, but definitely not culture shock.</p>

<p>My sister had no problems adjusting. I didn’t go away as an 18 year old but as 22 (and a junior) year old. I had probably 2-3 weeks of adjusting and I was good. I got over being homesick when my professors kept me busy.</p>

<p>The biggest challenge will be for you to grow up and be able to start advocating for yourself.</p>

<p>There are no parents enforcing “the rules”.</p>

<p>So you can do pretty much as you please; and so can everyone else–and that can lead to conflicts.</p>

<p>You need to learn to advocate for yourself and to negotiate in a way that you did not need to do before.</p>