Is there such a thing as TOO genuine? Is this essay topic too much of a risk? UC prompt.

<p>It’s the prompt on the characteristic that you value or are proud of.</p>

<p>I want to write about my affinity for cooperation. But I want to be genuine at the same time–not write about “Oh I go to x soup kitchen, y group, and z club! :3”</p>

<p>So… I wrote about something I <em>actually</em> like to do and that shows this characteristic.</p>

<p>Playing a video game. It’s risky as hell. But my prose just flows so much more easily this way and it feels a lot more personal. I’m not focusing on how much I like to no-life it and play video games all weekend, or how it’s my escape, or anything of that sort. Rather, I’m writing about how being teamed up with four total strangers, pitted against another team of strangers, has taught me a great deal about how cooperation is key to the infinite potential people have.</p>

<p>I also plan to then segue into a tournament for it a few buddies of mine held together to raise some funds for Child’s Play, and how that also required immense cooperation.</p>

<p>It’s not about me writing a novel, or making a breakthrough discovery in how malignant tumors can be combated, but it’s a genuine take on what I truly like to do.</p>

<p>…and of course my second prompt will be about how poor I am and my passion for innovation I discovered in AP Chem to balance it all out.</p>

<p>Thanks for any advice!</p>

<p>I think it’s genuine and unique. If your writing gives it justice, I think it could work. </p>

<p>It sounds like a great topic. Your essay is about what video games have taught you and as long as the lesson is important and genuine, the fact that video games are brought doesn’t matter whatsoever. The topic also sounds very unique.</p>

<p>I wish I was this smart when I was a senior :P</p>

<p>Go for it. You sound like you’ve thought it through thoroughly and have interesting things to say. It’ll be genuine, distinctive, and won’t make you sound like an unpleasant person, which I personally think are the three main factors to keep in mind when writing an essay. (My cred: I graduated from a UC and have coached college application essay writing professionally.)</p>

<p>Agreed - go for it. Good luck!</p>