Is this worth fixing?

<p>We have a 2 year old Whirlpool microwave that has just stopped heating anything up. Is it worth fixing or should I start looking for a new one. It is a built in one. I don't cook with it, I just heat things up and make popcorn in it. If it is time for a new one, any suggestions on brand? Again, I don't need many features.</p>

<p>Sounds like the magnetron tube. Those sometimes have a 5 year warranty on them. Find out first, but you'd probably have to pay for the labor.</p>

<p>Husband is pretty handy, could he install the tube?</p>

<p>I don't know how hard it would be to replace...Your H could see if he can do it.</p>

<p>Which model # do you have?</p>

<p>You might also check to see if your credit card has the extended warranty program, assuming you paid by credit card. The magnetrons I've seen are metal "box-like" in shape that are wired in. You remove the microwave from the cabinet enclosure and then pull off the back panel of the microwave. Your husband could probably replace it if he's somewhat handy.</p>

<p>Piggybacking here. </p>

<p>I would have never even thought of repairing a microwave so I'm impressed if someone can do that. My microwave is old and is starting to spark a bit when I use it. You'd think maybe I'd quit using it, right? I'd love to hear info about recommended models.</p>

<p>It is a W10182518A. Good thought on the credit card. I will check on that tonight. I did find the instruction manual and it looks like it had a one year warranty.</p>

<p>Yea, some credit cards double the warranty for up to an additional year, so if you act quickly you may be pleasantly surprised that is is covered by the warranty. </p>

<p>For us, since the microwave is built-in, H wanted to be sure it vented properly & odors & moisture would be properly handled instead of being absorbed by the wood where it was mounted. It took forever for him to figure out the right model that would fit in the hole as closely as possible & vent the way he wanted. It lasted a very brief time & then we had to replace it again--with the exact same model that has lasted well the 2nd time around.</p>

<p>^CC companies usually only double the original warranty. So, if your microwave is over two years old, you may be out of luck. It wouldn't hurt to contact Whirlpool to see if the magnetron has a longer warranty AND to check with them to see if your unit may have had excessive problems/complaints or the simple fact that the unit was only 2 years old. Sometimes manufacturers will try to appease their customers when this happens.</p>

<p>HImom and I double-posted, sorry.</p>

<p>I will talk to my husband tonight and see what he thinks. I think I will give Whirlpool a call as well. Thanks for all your suggestions. Now just in case, what brands do people like?</p>

<p>Since it is a built-in, your options may be limited, unless you want to ALSO replace the face-plate surround that fits your microwave. Assuming you have a face-plate, they can be pricey-- $200.00 plus.</p>

<p>Hello,
I saw information about two things you can check to see if your microwave isn't working.
- The fuse: "The first thing you should check if your microwave isn't working is its fuse. The appliance will not work again until the fuse is replaced". Here you can see how to replace the fuse:Microwave</a> Oven Repair Guide - Replace your microwave's fuse
- The door switch: "A faulty door switch may not allow your microwave to function. Test your microwave's door switch and if it is defective, replace it." Here you can see how to replace it: Microwave</a> Oven Repair Guide - Replace microwave door switch and here how to test it: Microwave</a> Oven Repair Guide - Test microwave door switch
In this website you can ask an Instant Repairman about your microwave: Instant</a> Appliance Repair Help
In case you have to buy another microwave I did a research of simple microwaves:
- Samsung MW620 600 Watts Microwave Oven: It looks really simple and is made to be an easy to use microwave. In this website you can read reviews: Samsung</a> MW620 600 Watts Microwave Oven Reviews. Buying Guides & Consumer Product Reviews - Epinions.com<br>
- LG MS-1927C Microwave Oven: "The LG solo microwave oven have easy knob control, epoxy coated cavity and manual defrost system." Here you can see images, features and where to buy this microwave: MS-1927C</a> Microwave Oven Home Appliances Here you can read about it: LG</a> MS 1927C
I hope it helps you,
BrunaHarvard.</p>

<p>Call Whirlpool about your unit and tell them that you think it's the magnetron tube. The unit may have a 1 year warranty, but the tube often has a 5 year warranty.</p>