Is your name a criteria in holistic admissions?

<p>Aka can MIT catch the cookie cutter asians no matter if they try to "game the system" via not filling in the race box because they're not forced to? (I'm anticipating an "absolutely not, bad to stereotype people yadi yadi yada" response to the "catching" question and a somewhat dodgy answer to the "name a criteria" question.)</p>

<p>While technically of course they don't list "name origin" as a holistic admissions criterion, they also are not going to pretend that they don't know you are Asian if your name screams it out. Other common giveaways are things like Asian heritage clubs. But, hopefully it won't make or break your application.</p>

<p>Have you seen this? Especially post number 5;</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1228264-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-9-a.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1228264-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-9-a.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>BTW, we have what many would consider an Irish name, and if you saw me, you would KNOW I was not Irish. Someone did send us a brochure for St. Patricks day T shirts with our family name. Does EVERYBODY get those? I might order one.</p>

<p>I would have to say, that's not very accurate.
What if your paternal great-grandfather is Asian but the rest of your family is Irish, or something like that?</p>

<p>I personally identify with so many different ethnicity that I don't even know them all off the top of my head, so you wouldn't be able to figure out anything from my name.</p>

<p>I would also like to add that if you are a cookie-cutter asian, them knowing your name won't really matter, it is the "cookie-cutterness" that will sink you.</p>

<p>I mean...it's not something we can unsee, but it's not something we consider as a criteria. I'm not trying to be dodgy, I'm trying to be honest. </p>

<p>@KaChow is right though. Being cookie-cutter anything isn't good, because we prefer our cookies to be misshapen and unique with love.</p>

<p>I'd like to think it needs no saying, but you really can't say <em>anything</em> definitive about a person based on their name alone...not their race; not anything. So, to use a person's name as an admissions criterion would be irresponsible at best. To answer: no, I expect and trust that an applicant's name is not a factor in his/her admissions decision.</p>