Isn't a 2220 perfect for Ivies? Who needs to get a 2400!

<p>Ivy</a> League SAT Scores - Compare SAT Scores for Ivy League Schools</p>

<p>^If you take the average for each section for Princeton, the one with the highest scores, you get 740 * 3 =2220. Everyone here tells you in chances that scores like this need to be higher, but they are right in the middle for the top ivies! Is it that this chart is wrong??</p>

<p>but you'd want to make yourself look as good as possible. If you are capable of achieving a 2400, then you'll want to actually get a 2400.</p>

<p>You are somewhat correct. When colleges take students they build aommunity. The need good regular students (rigorous courses+ high 25% SAT scores), exceptional students in one area of academics ( USAMO qualifier - math, science research students ...) who are normally good academic students, but who would not spend that much time in practice for SAT and would fall in the middle 50% of the SAT band and the lower 25% could be highly exceptional students with sports, research publications , kids with disadvantaged background and have done well against all odds ,and some skills the college would want them so badly ...</p>

<p>So it is a complex process... It is very difficult to predict your success of entry into IVY league. So a lesser score would require a much stronger skill set the college would want from you.</p>

<p>sweeeet i'm in the 50% band and i'm exceptional in chemistry, its all looking much better now :) thanks</p>

<p>I tend to agree that a higher SAT score can't hurt you, but this whole retaking 2300+ that people are advised to do on CC is ridiculous.</p>

<p>If you're barely in the top part of the 50% band for top schools, (1570 for harvrd when the 75% is 1580), would they see you as one of the top 25%? Once you get passed 1560, imho you're just splitting hairs. One careless error on math kills you</p>

<p>Factor in recruited athletes, developmental admits, URMs, students from underrepresented geographic locations and legacies and that "average" SAT score certainly doesn't represent the average SAT score of an admitted student who does not have any of the aforementioned hooks. Applicants without hooks should be looking at the 75th percentile scores as an accurate gauge for competitiveness.</p>

<p>Jersey: No. Maybe 60-65 for "competitiveness" Besides, I've seen African Americans here with 2300+, same with athletes. Yes, It lowers it a measureable amounot, but that's just too much.</p>

<p>It's not really too much. I listed 5 groups of applicants there and didn't even mention those with an extremely unique/desirable EC that could be essentially considered a hook.</p>

<p>i don't know about that Jersey, there's also the other end of the spectrum of people who only have high GPA's and SAT's, or are ORMs.</p>

<p>^ And you compete with that "other end of the spectrum" unless you have one of the aforementioned hooks.</p>

<p>That's not necessarily true. You compete with the entire applicant body that has the same scores as you...2200- whites and asians get in regularly (look at CC threads)</p>

<p>What if your not an ORM or a URM, then your in the middle ground and the 50th percentile should be judged for competitivenesx</p>

<p>So what happens when you're above the 75% mark (or close to it) AND hooked?</p>

<p>MOST Ivy students are ORMS (Ive herad 40% are hooked). They ant ALL be 75% plus...That just doesn't make sense. How can 60% of the class bei in the top 25%?</p>

<p>Of course they do, I never disputed it. But the acceptance rate for 2300+ students is noticeably higher than that of 2200-2300 students.</p>

<p>also you can't assume that the ones that are hooked like URM's are the bottom 25% in SAT scores, some may even be at the top 25%</p>

<p>^ I'm making generalizations, so there's really no point in nitpicking. Of course some URMs have scores in the top 25%, but the majority do not, otherwise why have AA?</p>

<p>Yes, but that doesn't mean that a hookless person needs 75% SAT scores to be "competitive". If 60% of the class is unhooked, and only 25% can be in the top 75, that means 35% of the unhooked (most of them) are NOT in there. Sub-75% SAT is FAR from from being umcompettive: There's a lot of randomness in college admissions, and while a 2300+ will certinaly help you, it doesn't mean that sub75% are not competitive. Actually, most ADMITTED and UNHOOKED students are below that</p>

<p>^ Your numbers are all arbitrary and meaningless until you supply factual data to support your claims. I only said that the 75th percentile scores should be used to gauge competitiveness, I never claimed that anyone with scores below that percentile were not competitive. Furthermore, I certainly never claimed that unhooked students with a score below that percentile would not be admitted. You are essentially providing counter arguments against arguments that do no exist.</p>