Ivy league admissions- step 1.ier

<p>Ivy league admissions- step 1.Academic Barrier
Please read this post:
I found out that this is how the process is in most Ivies.</p>

<p>First a secretary arranges the applications according to SAT scores and summarizes the info on the apps. (Every app is read by the admissions committee but they do tend to rely on the clerks summary as well remember they are over 20 thousand apps)</p>

<p>Then based on academic standing people who the college thinks cannot handle the academic rigor at HYP based on Class rank - Rank is King remember that (VERY IMPORTANT especially for URMS) GPA's and very low SAT scores are cut. Teacher Recommendations are also VERY important at this stage and later on in the process.</p>

<p>*Applicants with an extremely moving personal story - ie I survived genocide or something along those lines MAY be moved onto the next stage.</p>

<p>Then with the remaining applicants all of whom could be successful when admitted are considered. Normally no less then half of the applicants are in this pile.</p>

<p>From this pile the committee starts to look at ECAs for community involvement, ecas, sports recruitment, leadership and other things like this to distinguish between candidates. Here the secretaries summary is very important because they are the ones that pick up the ones that stand out to them in terms of ECAs etc which makes it more likely for an admission officer to take a closer look at that particular file. Additional cuts are made here whittling it down to candidates with brilliant academic standing and ecas. (This stage is pretty tricky - one year like this year for instance they may want to expand the arts at Ivies so people with a strong background in the arts will be admitted in a greater proportion than the rest. They also try to get people who excel in different areas to make a well rounded CLASS not necessarily a well rounded individual. So if you are a debater you compete against other debaters for that position for instance. If you are bland, boring and stereotypical this is where you may get cut despite your awesome academic achievements. It is not uncommon for people with perfect scores to be cut at this stage while people with lower scores go through because they are different and stand out. At this stage AA for URMs and legacy and developmental cases kick in and give you a boost.
A very strong teacher recommendation and an interview recommendation can save you at this point from getting cut.</p>

<p>Finally the essays come into play to whittle down the playing field even more. For instance if they are two individuals who are equally distinguished academically and ECA wise the essay will be the deciding factor between the two. Here the school looks for unique experiences that will enrich student life on campus. Individuality is key here. If you get rejected from Ivies with a perfect 2400 look no further than your weak essay followed or alternatively superbly weak ecas.</p>

<p>And then the remaining apps are put to a vote in the committee a majority is necessary for admission ! Though everyone denies it my father believes there is some luck involved depending on where in the pile you fall. For instance you may come right after some amazing kid and that is what costs you the one vote you needed its human nature. But they claim this does not happen but i am pretty sure it does matter.</p>

<hr>

<p>Now: did I jump over the first hurdle?
SAT:2370+
SATIIs: US:800 MII:800
GPA: 3.7UW 3.8W (Took/Taking 17APs in 2 years)
Class rank: top 5 percent 121 (very competitive, and sometimes stupid: grade deflation with no specific reason
Senior Year: 8 APs (All As; have to ask for predicted grades though) plus 4 (self.)
PM me for my transcript! Thanks!!
oh also my resume!</p>

<p>You see, I am not a lazy slacker. It is just that my school is so hard! If you look at my SAT, you know that I am not a dummy.</p>

<p>Thanks guys!
Applying to:
U Chic
S
M
H
P
Y
Corn.
Dart.
Penn *Wharton
Bentley
Brandeis
Hofstra
LSE
Cambridge.</p>

<p>Thanks again for reading this long post.
Hope this helped you understand how the Ivy admissions go.</p>

<p>Bumpbump
bumpbump</p>

<p>Bumpbump
bumpbump</p>

<p>Well....like you said that's only the first hurdle. Your ECs are important for getting a more accurate pic. Here are you stats (I am most familiar with Princeton so I will give you those.</p>

<ul>
<li>Your GPA gives you an 8.0% chance of being accepted</li>
</ul>

<p>-however, your SAT gives you a 26.3% chance</p>

<p>Thought I'd just give you numbers bc that seems to be what your post is based on. Hope that helps! </p>

<p>Chance me back?
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/930723-hopes-dreams-making-me-nervous.html#post1064925695%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/930723-hopes-dreams-making-me-nervous.html#post1064925695&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Likewise :)</p>

<p>Lebron, I don't see you applying anywhere local - not a good sign for Cavs :-)
Very impressive, are you really going to have 17 APs? I am assuming you are junior now?
I see you having peronality, though just a novice in college admission ( older son went to Ohio University, but we never really got involved at all and son finishing his junior year at private boarding school) I would thinbk it should help you to get into top schools, at least one or two. S has similar issue w/GPA, though they have different poib0nt system at their school.
What school do you go to?</p>

<p>I think 17 APs are not THAT impressive.
I mean, in 2 years, it is.</p>

<p>Yes, I am a junior.
Thanks for your helpful reply!
I am not from Ohio, sorry!</p>

<p>If the school you attend is known to be challenging, with tough grading, then I think you will certainly get a look. However, your GPA will not be outstanding at the most selective schools. How is it that your unweighted and weighted averages are so close together?</p>

<p>I have no idea.
But isn't rank over transcript?
In this case, at least.</p>

<p>Why would any school reject an Olympic Gold medalist pro basketball player who will bring millions of dollars in donation and a ton of fame to the school?</p>

<p>No idea.
Admissions are really weird nowadays.</p>

<p>Lebron, you're always telling people with low stats that they will get into top schools. Now you're telling us rank is very important for URMs? Simply untrue, where do you get this stuiff?</p>

<p>What?
I never told people with low stats that.
IMO, they had great extracurriculars.</p>

<p>And sorry, maybe I should delete this thread... I didn't write the admissions process.
This is a very, very, very old Harvard Admissions process, which I found last week.</p>

<p>I thought it was new, and then nice posters told me that it is about 30 years old.</p>

<p>So CLARIFICATION:</p>

<p>this process is wrong!</p>

<p>My apologies!</p>

<p>What?
I never told people with low stats that.
IMP, they had great extracurriculars, and their academics seemed fine to me.</p>

<p>And sorry, maybe I should delete this thread... I didn't write the admissions process.
This is a very, very, very old Harvard Admissions process, which I found last week.</p>

<p>I thought it was new, and then nice posters told me that it is about 30 years old.</p>

<p>So CLARIFICATION:</p>

<p>this process is wrong!</p>

<p>My apologies!</p>

<p>Then you have a mistaken view of what ECs can do in the absence of great stats.</p>

<p>^How was I mistaken?</p>