Ivy League Stress

<p>CCers,</p>

<p>Do you think that an Ivy League environment is more stressful than other college environments? I feel as if there is not as much fun in an Ivy League environment as in a school like UMich or NYU. Would you agree?</p>

<p>None of the environments you mentioned are any fun at all.</p>

<p>Brown at least is very laid back and a decent amount of fun unless you attempt a crazy schedule. I'd imagine this is true of other Ivies as well.</p>

<p>I don't think so. It's all relative. We have less schoolwork at a lower ranked school because we didn't take 800 AP classes and get 5's in all of them. I think the schoolwork is relative to what they think the students there can accomplish.</p>

<p>seriously? im having tons of fun at my school..</p>

<p>Not necessarily. I think college is what ou make of it. There are plenty of schools other than Ivies where the students have huge workloads and are really stressed, and then there are plenty of students at Ivy league or Ivy-caliber who know how to relax and have fun. It's all relative...</p>

<p>well I go to NYU and it's no fun at all. I need to take 18 credits of science classes every semester to graduate on time, and I need to do really well to keep my scholarship, and the social life revolves around the city which is so expensive - no one goes to frat parties or football games like a normal college, everyone goes out to have fun and people who aren't rich like me can't afford to go out that much. They refuse to give me housing and I can't afford rent - yay for more loans! :/</p>

<p>oh yeah and I agree with reesezpiecez - I have friends at cornell, brown and princeton, some stress a lot and others are more relaxed. I think i used to be more relaxed before i came to college personally</p>

<p>Judge for yourself:
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/oberlin-college/934935-toughest-schools-get.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/oberlin-college/934935-toughest-schools-get.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>^^yikes...my school is number four!</p>

<p>The survey cited above probably had some statistical errors, as discussed in the thread. However, I would think that many students at all these schools would be stressed, and many others would not. I have the utmost respect for the Ivies as institutions, but I'm a tiny bit tired of people asserting that an Ivy League college is the only place where students feel pressure and have to work hard.</p>

<p>no!!!! why is swarthmore first?!?!?! ahhhh</p>

<p>i can feel the academic masochism bubbling inside of me already..</p>

<p>hahaha....no. My friends at state school hate my three class terms...although I'm taking it light this coming term, only taking two classes. It'll be rough. I have to be up at 10 AM twice a week. </p>

<p>Seriously though, I'd say in a lot of ways, the ivy's are more laid back, simply because students busted their butts in high school to get there and get to college and realize that they don't have to do that anymore, its okay to go out on a school night and have fun.</p>