Ivy League/top tier law school chances?

<p>I'm taking calculus right now so that I don't have to take math at all in college. I'm definitely a humanities student through and through.</p>

<p>800 Critical Reading, 740 Writing on the SAT (610 Math).
3.43 average GPA but I'm full IB diploma. That means that my classes are IB calc, IB physics HL, IB history and english, IB theory of knowledge, IB japanese 400, and a couple non-IB classes I need to fill out my highschool credits. IB classes are similar to AP classses if you didn't know. Full diploma also means that I'll have 150 hours of community service, activity, and creative work on my own (ie 50 hours of each). </p>

<p>I took a college course last summer and got a 3.9 (in the class Math 095). </p>

<p>I'm on the varsity cross country team (and our team is pretty good, we won a meet against 40 other teams across washington and oregon). </p>

<p>I can write well and I've got some nice stuff to write about in an essay. </p>

<p>If you're interested, I was thinking about mentioning my early struggles with dwarfism and the bullying that came with it (I'm not noticably short anymore though because of extensive and miraculously effective medication - I'm 5'2" now). I had an unrelated-to-the-dwarfism heart condition that I also managed to get rid of after struggling with it during cross country (my heart would randomly shoot up to 300 bpm and I'd almost pass out when it happened during races). My parents have been fighting recently after 20 years of peaceful marriage and they almost got a divorce earlier this year. My best friend's mom died and I was trying to console him all year while battling with the heart stuff and my own problems at home. The near-divorce also strained our finances, although my family is middle class so that isn't that much of a deal. </p>

<p>So... I'm planning to go to a nice law school and I was wondering what my chances are for the best law schools in the country, like the ones at harvard, yale, northwestern etc. If I'm shooting too high it'd be nice if you gave me an idea of what schools I should shoot for instead.</p>

<p>You have to finish undergrad first before you go to law school.</p>

<p>Of course. What I meant was what are my chances of getting accepted to Harvard/Yale etc so that I might attend their law schools.</p>

<p>Your SAT is a little bit low for Ivies/top schools. Retake them if you can and try to get your math score up a bit. Your GPA is low too. Write amazing essays and try to get your counselor to write about your hardships in his/her rec. I'm not saying that it's impossible to get into an Ivy, especially given your circumstances, but it will be very unlikely. Get some good safeties if you can.</p>

<p>My GPA would be weighted up to like a 3.9 i think. maybe. not sure. I think different schools weight IB differently. As for the SAT scores, does the fact that I'm not taking math in college help me? I've actually taken the SAT twice and I got a 620 the first time. Math is just not my forte. I'm pretty much incapable of getting that score up.</p>

<p>Your GPA is probably too low.</p>

<p>you're a smart guy and have a shot for grad school...dw about going to top tier undergrad...just work hard and ull succeed....don't forget Obama started at Occidental College and then ended up at Harvard</p>

<p>And you'd have to take the LSAT and score in the top 98-99%, and have a very high college GPA to get into Harvard or Yale Law, whether you did undergrad there or not.</p>

<p>Yea, your chances could definitely be better. Your SAT is somewhat low, your gpa is extremely low, and, to be honest, it seems like you're almost completely relying on your tough life to get into college, when your essays/recs should just be used as a boost to your grades. I'm sorry, but I don't see you getting in.</p>

<p>No, not taking math in college will not help you get into an ivy with below median scores. They will also take a hard look at unweighted GPA and rank, IB, AP or great high school with neither.</p>

<p>Um... you need at least 2 years of college courses and an LSAT score to be properly evaluated for law school.</p>

<p>Yeah so I'm alright with not getting into the Ivy's, but do you guys have any advice for what kind of places I should be aiming for instead?</p>