January 2012 | Chemistry

<p>Since there's a Math II and Biology up already... anyone take the Chemistry SAT II today? What'd you think of it?</p>

<p>It was a lot easier than the December test</p>

<p>Good thing I didn't take the December one then lol.
Yeah, generally I've been hearing that it's easy :/ Hopefully the curve won't be dreadful because I made a few REALLY dumb mistakes -____-</p>

<p>The embargo has been lifted, right?</p>

<p>EDIT: I will assume it has, based on the Math II thread, and will start the discussion up.</p>

<p>1, 2, and 3 were classification questions.</p>

<p>A. Ca
B. H
C. O
D. P
E. S</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Contributes to acid rain- E?</p></li>
<li><p>Has a +3 and +5 oxidation state- D?</p></li>
<li><p>Forms a basic oxide in water- A?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I've got a feeling I'm the only one who will be contributing in here. :P</p>

<p>Okay, another set of classifications then.</p>

<p>Which is the electron configuration of the noble gas- the one with electrons in the 3d orbital?</p>

<p>Which is the electron configuration of the element with 3 unpaired electrons- the one that ends in 3p3?</p>

<p>How many atoms are in one molecule (underlined) of sucrose, C12H22O11- 45?</p>

<p>Another two classification questions! :)</p>

<p>Color of copper sulfate- blue?</p>

<p>Color of potassium permanganate- purple?</p>

<p>Even more classification!</p>

<p>A. 0.1 M Ba(OH)2
B. 0.1 M NaOH
C. 0.1 M CH3OH
D. 0.1 M HC2H3O2
E. 0.1 M HNO3</p>

<p>Which can be added to an equal volume of 0.2 M HCl to get a pH of 7- A?</p>

<p>Has a [H+] concentration of 1 x 10^-1- E?</p>

<p>Has a pH between 2 and 6- D?</p>

<p>Is the least good conductor of electricity- C?</p>

<p>How is it A for equal volume of 0.2 M HCl isn't it B?</p>

<p>I don't think so, because the formula is M1V1 = M2V2.</p>

<p>Cancel out the volumes, because they're equal, and you get M1 = M2.</p>

<p>Obviously, because all the choices are 0.1 M, you'll have to double one of them somehow to match the 0.2 M molarity in that question. You have to go with Ba(OH)2 because that has double the hydroxide molecules, compared to NaOH.</p>

<p>I'm pretty positive on this. And C, D, and E are two acids and an alcohol, easily recognizable as wrong answers.</p>

<p>oh crap
i changed my answer shoot</p>

<p>yea ur right the balanced equation for the Ba(Oh2) has 2HCl in it which means that u only need 0.1 M</p>

<p>Classification with the Phase diagram?? I can't even remember the questions...</p>

<p>@djumper
Yep, EDA for classifications.
For noble gas, I forget, do you remember the other choices?
For the 4 unpaired electrons it was the longest one (Fe). I'm sure because I looked it up afterwards haha.
Yep, I got 45.
The two colors are correct (I kicked myself for not studying those more because I put the wrong ones for both -___- That's the stupid mistake that I made blah.)
AEDC for the Acid/Base classifications.</p>

<p>@ballerina94
I don't remember that one :/ Anyone else remember?</p>

<p>Yes, there were two more classification groups. One was a phase diagram, the other was a group of solutions. I will list both below. :)</p>

<p>Phase diagram questions (reference table here) <a href="http://serc.carleton.edu/images/research_education/equilibria/h2o_phase_diagram_-_color.v2.jpg:%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://serc.carleton.edu/images/research_education/equilibria/h2o_phase_diagram_-_color.v2.jpg:&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Which arrow represents melting- the one going from white to blue?</p>

<p>Which arrow represents a phase change from gas to liquid- the one going from yellow to blue?</p>

<p>Which arrow represents no phase change- the one that goes from yellow and stays there?</p>

<p>Yes meatkabob, you're right about the one about Fe's 4 unpaired electrons. That's what I remember putting down now too, but got confused because there was also a question later on in part C about nitrogen's 3 unpaired electrons. :P</p>

<p>@djumper
Ohhh now I remember! I love this diagram lol. There's like no tricky question they can ask haha.
I don't remember what the arrow choices were, except that no phase change was D?</p>

<p>Oh, looking at that digram reminds me, there was one question about a pot with boiling liquid? One of the choices was "The temperature is 100 C" and another choice was "It reached its critical point."
Do you remember that?</p>

<p>Yea wat was the answer to that i dont think it was critical point</p>

<p>And here's the one about the solutions.</p>

<p>A. phenolphthalein
B. NaHCO3 (sodium hydrogen carbonate)
C. CH3OH (methanol)
D. not sure
E. Na2SO4 (sodium sulfate)</p>

<p>Which one turns from colorless to pink in a basic solution- phenolphthalein?</p>

<p>Which one releases a gas when combined with acetic acid- really not sure on this one, but chose B?</p>