JHU biomedical engineering may be over-rated

<p>USNWR consistently rates JHU biological and biomedical engineering #1 in the country, based on peer rating. However, such subjective assessment does not jive with objective facts: The research productivity and impact of JHU BME are behind the other universities. Here is the Reuter Thompson record of BME papers from the top 10 BME programs of the country in the last five years:</p>

<p>JHU: BME papers=266, average citation/year=404.33, average citation/paper=1.52
GT: BME papers=331, average citation/year=498.5, average citation/paper=1.5
UCSD: BME papers=225, average citation/year=275.67, average citation/paper=1.22
Stanford: BME papers=332, average citation/year=351.5, average citation/paper=1.06
MIT: BME papers=383, average citation/year=740.83, average citation/paper=1.93
Rice: BME papers=160, average citation/year=301.67, average citation/paper=1.89
U Penn: BME papers=276, average citation/year=451.83, average citation/paper=1.64
U Wash: BME papers=309, average citation/year=392.5, average citation/paper=1.27
Boston: BME papers=122, average citation/year=172, average citation/paper=1.41
Duke: BME papers=314, average citation/year=310.33, average citation/paper=0.99</p>

<p>JHU BME ranks 7th (of 10) in productivity, 4th (of 10) in overall and average impact. The gaps between MIT and JHU in productivity, overall impact and average impact are quite large. The survey of USNWR may be skewed to people related to JHU.</p>

<p>This is what you do with your free time? Find a new hobby.</p>

<p>Link? .</p>

<p>The link is the following: ISI</a> Web of Knowledge [v.4.9] - Web of Science Results</p>

<p>You can generate the journal citation report from this web page.</p>

<p>There are many things that make Hopkins BME "THE BEST" in the world. The evaluation of a program in its entirety will take into account productivity, but that's a small part of what makes the BME program incredible. You can't just look at one thing - you have to look at the program comprehensively.</p>

<p>harvardfan... do you hav no life? perhaps JHU bme rejected you and you are bitter about it?</p>

<p>harvardfan, i want to apologize on behalf of cicero and cc2014er. you mostly objectively presented some findings and were met with baseless attacks. sorry.</p>

<p>i agree with wealth though - there's a lot more to a program than research citations. rankings will never be absolute; i generally distrust them. for example, JHU should be number 1 overall on USNews and World report ;)</p>

<p>Yeah well, unlike certain programs those JHU citations are from scientists and physicians who aren't "owned" by Big Pharma, private corporations, and D.C. bureaucrats...</p>

<p>^^Compelling argument.</p>

<p>You don't have to apologize on my behalf because I am not apologizing. There is no point in evaluating the rankings system or even following it that closely. I am saying that this is a pointless argument to present. I don't agree with a lot of the rankings, and there's nothing that I can do to change them, so I don't dwell on it.</p>