job prospects

i am a prospective phd applicant in petroleum engg.....can any one tell me what are the job prospects after phd in petroleum engg.....??
seniors plzzz... help.....</p>

<p>Most of PHD grads (ie petroleum etc) are in it to teach.</p>

<p>thnks for ur response!!
so ,are you trying to say that it is not possible to get hire by oil and gas industry as a professional engineer??</p>

<p>Professional licensing is rarely needed by petroleum engineers. You can get hired with a PhD in PetE by an Oil and Gas company, but the degree is rarely (if ever) worth the effort, because PetE's typically move up quickly in companies (even with only a BS). Get a MS degree, go get a job, then figure out if you want to go back for a PhD. Really, the only reason to get a PhD in PetE is to teach.</p>

thnk u very much for ur rply....!!
i have 2 questions.....first,i didn't understand the meaning of professional licensing????second,do you mean to say, for PetE ,MS has better job opportunities than PhD holders in US....
I definitely don't want to go in academics.....can you please guide me how should I proceed in this regard..just to let you know that right now I am pursuing masters in ChemE.....</p>

<p>The oil industry is a down and dirty busness that needs BS level people on the ground (and on the oil rigs) that aren't afraid to get their hands or their hiking boots dirty. You don't need a freaking PhD. You are obviously just in it for the money. Take your MS ChemE and go get a job in a refining plant. I'm sure you are prefectly qualified already. Whoever is telling all these students that they aren't ready for the real world until they have a PhD or a masters degree is so full of it!</p>

<p>@shimnui1: First, are you an American citizen or not? If not, then you will need to get a PhD to have a chance at staying in the US to work for a US company. If you are a citizen, then you can probably get a job tomorrow if you really wanted.</p>

<p>Professional licensing is available for certain engineers (civil, mechanical) that allows them to sign off on legal documents. Like I said, professional licensing is rarely, if ever, needed in petroleum engineering, so don't worry about it. You don't need a PhD to become a licensed engineer.</p>

<p>As far as job opportunities go: it depends on what kind of job you are looking for. If you want to work as a petroleum engineer, drilling, and planning wells, working on wellbore technology etc, then you only need a BS degree. If you want to move up faster, than a Masters is useful in many companies, but work experience is especially valued in the oil and gas company. Most Petroleum engineers are required to serve a rotation (1-2 years) as a field engineer before becoming an office engineer.</p>

<p>A PhD only qualifies you to be a researcher. There are only a handful (less than 20 worldwide) that will actually put a PhD in a position to use their degree. If you go to another company, your degree might not be worth a whole lot.</p>

<p>You can probably work your way to a position as a petroleum engineer (after a bout of field work) with a Masters in ChemE, but most companies will try to put you in a refinery. If you want to be a field engineer (or a petroleum engineer) then you might want to consider transferring degree programs.</p>

<p>A reminder that political posts and links to blogs are violations of our Terms of Service (FAQ link). Those who wish to discuss job prospects in the Engineering field in a manner compliant with our Terms of Service are welcome to start a new thread.</p>