Job search advice

<p>Just love this one:</p>

<pre><code>How a Tenacious Summer Analyst Applicant Got Laughed at by Goldman, Morgan, and Everyone Else on Wall Street - Yahoo! Finance
</code></pre>

<p>Let us hope times are changing on Wall Street. Thanks for the chuckle.</p>

<p>Its a little regrettable that the power of modern communications can boomerang on you if someone decides to share your written word.</p>

<p>Maybe the poor kid is a conceited jerk, but the great probability is that he's just a kid with a kid's perspective.</p>

<p>This experience will teach him something.</p>

<p>I actually feel horrible for the kid. Perhaps he was just given some bad advice. It seems that the kid is probably smart, but maybe he is just a bit socially awkward and decided to blindly follow the first advice he is given. While it's clearly a horrible cover letter, I hardly think that it was proper behavior on the part of the JP Morgan executives who forwarded the letter.</p>

<p>I would definitely want to interview him, just to see what he was really about.</p>

<p>heads are going to roll.</p>

<p>The first head will be the at JPM. </p>

<p>The second effect will be a admonition from all the HR's and Legal, to all hiring managers and perpetuators of this application: Application is proprietery just like financial information.</p>

<p>The third is that a bunch of good lawyers are going to make a play.
And minimally big bunches of low level private, beginning lawyers. </p>

<p>The fourth is that applicant will be given a position with a big hiring bonus to keep quiet. In which case, he is smarter than all his distractors. :)</p>

<p>Taking odds :evileye:</p>

<p>This doesn't make sense. The application and cover letter should have been kept confidential unless the applicant himself posted it on a public location - not spread around to hundreds or thousands to potentially humiliate the applicant.</p>

<p>I think he should demonstrate his tenacity by suing the company and the individual unless he posted it publicly.</p>

<p>I agree. My dept head has said a number of times, we distinguish ourselves not only by our technical ability but by the respect we show others. This guy doesnt have to tell people to do the right thing, he leads by example.</p>

<p>correction 6</p>

<p>First head roll will be ML's head.
BofA CEO is gonna be ticked
Helicopter parents are going to pull money from ML and BoA.
Chinese mom's are really come down on BoA.
Chinese dad's are going to contact powers of influence
And all parents are going to be down on BoA. Its OK to reject an application but to humiliate junior because he's an overachiever and wants to be the best he can just isn't. right. </p>

<p>stay tuned to your local business channel.</p>

<p>With all the redactions, it is hard to see it all, but I thought it was a great letter, and not that over the top. I know kids as accomplished. This reminds me of the Yale student a few years ago who sent a CD of himself with or as his resume who also became a news sensation. Didn't he eventually get a Wall Street job?</p>

<p>I imagine everyone on Wall Street is very similar to this kid.</p>

<p>Poor kid. The adults were definitely acting with less maturity than the kid.</p>

<p>I read the letter. I can't believe it's an actual serious cover letter -- it seems a little too "over the top" to be real. It comes across to me as satire.</p>

<p>It comes across to me as a student who desperately wants to make big bucks in the banking industry. This student has not had any coaching in how to write a cover letter (at least, I hope not!), so has tried to do what he thinks will give him an edge. I can't believe that the companies chose to make fun of an actual letter in this way. Don't they have better things to do with their time? Clearly, they have more than enough well qualified candidates, so why even give something like this a second thought? Perhaps they are stuck in the same middle school mindset as the management at my former employer (which is part of why it is "former").</p>

<p>
[quote]
I think he should demonstrate his tenacity by suing the company and the individual unless he posted it publicly.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Only if he never wants to work in the financial industry...</p>

<p>Agree that the adults in this scenario did not act like adults at all.</p>

<p>Or maybe it was a joke letter--the kind of fake letter that college kids make up to see if they can get Dear Abby to answer.</p>

<p>I am a headhunter and you would not believe the letters I get. The latest greatest elaborated on what he had done since the best day of his life - the day he met his drop dead gorgeous wife. Nice sentiment - wrong place.</p>