Johns Hopkins/College in Baltimore parents - I need recommendations for an Ophthalmologist and Optometrist in Baltimore

Hi Johns Hopkins and/or a college in Baltimore parents,

My son is starting college and need to see an Ophthalmologist and an Optometrist.

Our insurance is PPO and my son is covered out-of-state when attending college.

Need an Ophthalmologist for eye related concerns. I’m not sure if dry eyes is the issue.

Optometrist to get his prescription contact lenses.

Any recommendations for an Ophthalmologist and Optometrist would be greatly appreciated!

In advance, thank you !

Reminder that CC is not a referral service. General recommendations only please!

This isn’t a recommendation…but rather a suggestion.

Both of my kids wore contacts in college. Neither ever needed a local optometrist but rather just saw the local one at home on school vacations. It was never a problem.

One of my kids has glaucoma, and again saw his local at home doctor for his ophthalmology visits. Didn’t have a local to college eye doc until he was in grad school and wasn’t coming here.

I would see if you can just schedule these things with your son’s regular eye doctors.

2 Likes

The Wilmer Eye Institute at Hopkins is renowned. Any provider your son is able to get an appointment with there should be good.

3 Likes

Thank you for the info! Johns Hopkins is such a reputable institution. I just don’t know if they have all the specialties or only some. I’m so glad they have an Eye Institute.

Hope your insurance may be in network. United Healthcare and some others locally are not in network.
Fyi see Johns Hopkins Medicine website
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/patient-care/patients-visitors/billing-insurance/insurance-info

My son is out-of-state student and we have a PPO insurance. Thank you for the link!

fyi: its JohnS Hopkins. (they are kinda picky about that “s”. hahaha)

But yes, Wilmer Eye Clinic is one of the tops in teh country.

you’l be hard-pressed to find a medical speciality that The Hop does not have.

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction! I’ll make sure to add the S. Made corrections:) All/most specialties is great!

Thank you for the suggestion, but this doesn’t work for us. College out of state, then summer abroad, and went directly back to college.

I understand…but did your kid never also come home on school breaks?

Regardless…John’s Hopkins should be able to provide what your student needs…but call ASAP to get established as a new patient, in my opinion.

2 Likes

The Wilmer Eye Institute is a world-class leader in routine and complex ophthalmic, optometric, optical and diagnostic services offered through our specialized divisions.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/wilmer/services

1 Like

Thank you for the info! bluebayou

It depends how busy!

FYI, I personally prefer the satellite offices vs the downtown location. Same doctors as downtown (at least in my case), but they rotate out to the satellite offices on specific days. Green Spring location might be good for JHU students.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/wilmer/locations/greenspring

Another option might be Balt. County Medical Center near Towson. There is a bus that goes right up Charles street and directly to the medical center area before it goes closer to Towson University.

Do you mean Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC)?

Thank you for message. I’ll look into satellite offices.

Hopkins has several parents groups on Facebook. Maybe ask there.

Does Hopkins/Wilmer Institute see “every day” patients? (If this kid is just going for an “every day” exam?