Johns Hoplins VS College of William and MAry (Which is harder to get in?)

<p>I’m trying to decide which school to apply for ED between two(Johns Hopkins and College W&M).</p>

<p>So which one is easier to get in? (or harder to get in?) because I want to maximaize the chance of getting in. </p>

<p>(I’m both Out of State)</p>

<p>Johns Hoplins?..I’m sorry, I don’t think I’ve actually ever heard of it.</p>

<p>I mean “Johns Hopkins!!” sorry typo</p>

<p>lol…I’m just guessing but I think College of William and Mary is easier to get into. I could be wrong though.</p>

<p>Are you instate or OOS for William & Mary? Also, two very different schools - have you visited?</p>

<p><a href=“http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/webex/Apply_earlynatudoc_brief.php[/url]”>http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/webex/Apply_earlynatudoc_brief.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>is this reliable source?
It says
Johns Hopkins University (MD) 51%
College of William and Mary (VA) 45%
(They’re ED acceptance rate)
Does that mean that it is easier to get into Hopkins when applying ED?</p>

<p>I am OOS for both Hokpins and Willian and Mary. Yes, I have visited the schools and liked both, and I just want to get into either one. I want to know which is easier to get in when I;m applying ED.</p>

<p>

Not necessarily, because JHU may attract more highly qualified applicants than W&M. For example, JHU students tend to have higher Math SAT scores than W&M students. </p>

<p>However, there are other factors to consider…</p>

<p>First, note that W&M gets far more female applicants than male applicants, and accepts females at a much lower rate than males. In 2006, for example, W&M got 6,910 female applicants overall, but only 3,812 male applicants. To keep the enrollment balanced, they accepted only 26% of female applicants, but 44% of male applicants. See [this</a> chart](<a href=“http://www.wm.edu/ir/acceptance_rates_-_undergrad.htm]this”>http://www.wm.edu/ir/acceptance_rates_-_undergrad.htm). I don’t have comparable numbers for JHU, but I don’t think they have this issue.</p>

<p>Second, note that W&M favors applicants from Virginia over those from out of state, because they are a public school supported by the State of Virginia. The acceptance rate was 46% for Virginians, but only 24% for out-of-staters. However, JHU is a private school, and so your state is not a factor for admissions.</p>

<p>My guess is that the chances for an out-of-state female ED applicant are better at JHU than W&M. But that’s only a guess.</p>

<p>WM, as a state school , has to keep 70% instate students, I believe. My son is an OOS student at WM and that is why he applied ED from MA - his GC recommended it if he truly wanted WM. In retrospect I am not sure he needed to apply ED. The year he was accepted, WM accepted more OOSs from NY, PA, generally the mid-Atlantic area after Virginians, compared with those further away. What state are you from? </p>

<p>I would think about the diffrence between a state school and a private school. We have found that we pay private school tuition but have some state school issues at WM. I am not sure we would be blind to that again.</p>

<p>JHU gets more male applicants than females. What is your intended major? You can find this kind of information at the commondata set for JHU. I don’t know as much about JHU but my younger son is looking at it for engineering and it seems that males dominate the application pool there.</p>

<p>These schools are very different socially. I would recommend that you try to do an overnight if you can. WM has a very southern feel - which has its pros and cons depending upon your own history and expectations (this is not a putdown of Southern schools). The environment that surrounds these schools is also very different (urban vs. Colonial Williamsburg). Colonial Williamsburg is very tourist oriented and not necessarily a great college town. Not sure that Baltimore is either, however!!! </p>

<p>WM does not give much merit $$ or financial aid if that is important to you. I cannot speak to JHU on that but they are private which may result in more funding.</p>

<p>I do think the odds seem to support a female getting into JHU ED over WM ED but then again, we know nothing about your profile and the fit that might exist between you and each school.</p>

<p>65% in state and I think some classes have been as low as 60%</p>

<p>So… I guess I’m applying to William and MAry…?? thanks , hopefully I have made a good decision.</p>

<p>ur ED stats are off… JHU ED rate is not 51% it is a lot lower</p>

<p>Yes, I would say a 25% better shot at W&M ED and probably a 35% better shot at W&M RD</p>

<p>Don’t let the high ED acceptance rate at JHU fool you. Lots of athletic recruits go ED and the rest of the pool is highly qualified.</p>

<p>Great schools … good luck!</p>

<p>so are you guys saying that I got better chance at W&M (ED) ??
(my brief stats------SAT:2100 GPA: 4.1 )</p>

<p>JHU ED admit rate is somewhere in the 34-38% range. Don’t be fooled… remember US News publishes older information than the recent classes due to a lag in reporting data information. </p>

<p>That said, JHU is harder than W&M. But then again, JHU I feel has a stronger reputation. However, I do feel these institutions are ** very different **.</p>

<p>Both are very hard to get into. I’d say that it is probably just as hard for OOS applicants, but for Virginia residents, W&M would probably be easier. Both are amazing schools (JHU is one of the nation’s top 10 or top 15 universities, on par with the Ivies, Chicago, Duke etc…) and receives a Peer Assessment score of 4.6/5.0, tied with Chicago, Columbia and Cornell and higher than Brown, Dartmouth, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern and Penn. That’s pretty impressive. W&M is of of the top 7 or 8 public universities in the nation. They don’t come much better than those two schools. </p>

<p>But be warned. Like many university, those two universities have very distinct campus cultures that do not appeal to all. Be sure you really study them well before settling on one.</p>

<p>This year I believe JHU ED was around 45%. And yes I applied ED.</p>

<p>JHU overall was 24%</p>