june sat writing

<p>So I got an 8 out of 12 on the essay. Overall, I got a 2280 on the test. Last june I got a 7 out of 12 on the essay and a 36 on the ACT. But my ap english teacher told me I was guaranteed a 5 on the ap exam. Is the essay b.s.? I dont think I choked. Will those essay scores kill my chances at big time schools or scholarships?</p>

<p>I've honestly heard that CR/Math is more important than Writing.</p>

<p>the essay is complete bs. in a MIT study they found a very high correlation between length and score, and were able to predict the score based on length 90% of the time.</p>

<p>The writing score has proven to be the best predictor of college GPAs, so give it the attention it deserves.</p>

<p>^ Really? Do you have proof of this?</p>

<p>im not tryin to sound sour that i didnt do as well as i wanted. It just seems weird that my writing scores have no correlation with my scores on any other part of the test or even an ap test.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Really? Do you have proof of this?

[/quote]
</p>

<p><a href="http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/Validity_of_the_SAT_for_Predicting_First_Year_College_Grade_Point_Average.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/Validity_of_the_SAT_for_Predicting_First_Year_College_Grade_Point_Average.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>
[quote]
SAT-W has the highest correlation with FYGPA
among the three individual SAT sections (r = 0.33, Adj.
r = 0.51).

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Can you tell me what these numbers mean?</p>

<p>Here is the explanation for how the correlations were adjusted:</p>

<p>
[quote]
While
the raw (unadjusted) correlations accurately portray the
relationships among the variables of interest for enrolled
students, the raw correlations invariably underestimate
the relationships that are found in the applicant pool,
which is the group for which admissions decisions are
made. To estimate the relationships among variables
in the applicant pool, certain statistical adjustments or
corrections are made. In this study, all correlations were
corrected for range restriction using the Pearson-Lawley
multivariate correction (Gulliksen, 1950; Lawley, 1943;
Pearson, 1902). This approach requires the use of an
unrestricted population covariance matrix on which
to base the correction.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>So, yeah...</p>

<p>Anyhow, the data show that the Writing section correlates better than either of the other two sections in predicting freshman grades in college. It also shows that the SAT and high-school GPA predict freshman grades almost exactly as well. When those factors are combined, the predictive validity obviously increases.</p>

<p>^yep, I actually read that a California study inspected all incoming W,CR,M scores for the UC schools and found that W scors correlated best to grades that freshman students received.</p>

<p>I think the essay is subjective though.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I think the essay is subjective though.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes, it is.</p>

<p>The same study also found that the addition of the essay in March 2005 (along with other less major content changes) did not make the new SAT a better predictor of the first-year college GPA (compared to the non-essay SAT).</p>

<p>^ The SAT didn't even have a Writing section, let alone an essay, prior to March 2005.</p>

<p>I think he's saying that the addition of the writing section after March 2005 was found to not make the new SAT a better predictor of first year college GPA.</p>

<p>I got a 70 with an 8 essay to get a score of 680, which is pretty low. Does this mean my college GPA will likely be low? I got a 2160 overall btw.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I got a 70 with an 8 essay to get a score of 680, which is pretty low. Does this mean my college GPA will likely be low? I got a 2160 overall btw.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>The correlation is not strong enough to warrant individual predictions based on SAT score.</p>

<p>Correlation does not imply causation.</p>

<p>^ Why is that relevant here?</p>

<p>I took the January SAT, then the June SAT. The January test I scored a 2230, and on the June exam I scored a 2360. Both of these instances I scored an 800 on the writing section. I know how you said that it is difficult to make individual predictions, silverturtle, but is it very likely that my college GPA will be high due to these scores?</p>

<p>^ Your score suggests that you are competent enough to do well in college if you exert yourself. I'll leave it at that. :)</p>

<p>Do not imagine that your score on the SAT writing section can possibly predict your college grades. The SAT writing section requires a reasonable degree of skill in grammar and the ability to pound out a long essay using lots of juicy vocab with very little else.</p>

<p>The SAT writing essay is very little related to any writing that students will do in college. The grading rubric is seriously flawed. A long essay full of factual errors will score perfectly.
And, yes, Perelman at MIT has shown the length/score correlation to be extraordinary strong. This says it all:
News:</a> Fooling the College Board - Inside Higher Ed</p>