I’ve been lurking on college confidental for a while (by a while, I mean 2-3 years). Although some users on the site come off as aggressive, I do want to use to consult with some. I was so determined to do Pre-med because my relatives pressured me to. Being the daughter and niece of immigrants, they are determined for me and my cousins to achieve the American Dream. This can only be accomplished by becoming a doctor or engineer. I always aimed for B (not B- or B+ but Bs). I didn’t know where I wanted to go and was ignorant about how colleges worked. I finished freshman year with a 2.9 and a weighted 3.0. It was disappointing! But I wasn’t worried because I was told by other pre-med students where you went to college didn’t matter too much, so I lowered my standards for schools. Sophomore came around. I decided to try harder. I received mostly A and Bs except in my AP biology class. I was getting (Bs and B-s in that). Before third term, my gpa was probably a 3.3-3.4. After third semester, my usual depression and anxiety hit and once again (as it does when 3rd term comes around), my grades tanked. I ended sophomore year with a 3.0 and a 3.2-3.3 weighted. Junior year, I am ap chemistry, ap english, and ap psychology. After term one, I realized I didn’t actually want to be a doctor, not at all. I wanted to go in communications/journalism with a minor in creative writing or film. I dropped AP chemistry, which I think was a smart decision. Personally, it helped with my anxiety. I’ve never taken chemistry, I only took the class as an extra AP, so it looked like I cared about science and challenged myself. The teacher was god awful. Sadly, on my transcript it will look like I dropped the class and this will hurt my chances even more since it will look like I can’t handle college level work (dropping an AP). At the moment, I’m taking AP psych, ap english, pre-calc, honors spanish conversation, sociology, and honors chemistry. First term I averaged an uw 87% because of ap chem, with ap chemistry out of the way, I’m hoping to average a 90% this term and next term. Bring my gpa up to a 3.4-3.5. For senior year, I’m taking AP English Lit, AP Government and politcs, and AP Spanish Lit or World. My extracurriculars include being part of four leadership clubs in and outside of school, internship at the guidance office, I’m hoping to self-publish a poetry book at the end of junior year, and currently applying to be a museum volunteer. I’ve recieved honors mention for two poetry contests. My SAT score goal is a 1300/1600 (got an 1100 on my PSAT) or a 32 on the ACT and I’m taking subject tests at the end of this year. My main issue is location and ranking. I really want to be a large city (LA, Seattle, New York, Chicago, and Portland). For my career, it’s really important to me if stay in those areas. I want to be out of Boston ( I live 30 mins. away from there). I would love to get into NYU (LSP program maybe?), Occidental, The New School, or any decent school in those areas? I’ve also considered unis outside of the U.S. like Cardiff, Mcgill, UBC, Trinity, and Sydney. Any suggestions on schools or cities that will help with my major? Any suggestions to get out of these depressing funk? I’ve noticed a lot of people on here suggest community college for those with my grades. Any questions, comments, concerns? I have nothing against community college, but I refuse to consider it an option. If you have anything to say that would be remotely helpful, please feel free to comment. And I apologize if there are any grammar or spelling errors, I’m rushing through this.
It would help others to read your story if you use paragraphs, especially if you want to go into a writing-based career.
You absolutely don’t need to go to community college if you’re a B average student. That’s ridiculous. You’ll without a doubt find colleges that you like and can get accepted into.
Wayyyyyyy too many questions in one post. Off the top of my head, and going by the title of your thread, you have no career because you are in high school. Study what interests you and don’t give in to pressure and idealized American dreams.
You have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do in life.
@ucbalumnus I know it looks clustered. I was rushing.
@bssurly thanks! @Lindagaf I see your point… @happy1 I’m just worried about getting into college rn aha
I wish college confidental would let me edit my post but I can’t! Sorry for anyone who is struggling to read it with the lack of paragraphs.