Junior - Need Help With Matches & Safties! :D

<p>Gay White Male
Suburban, Mid-Level School (Missouri)
Income: $250,000+ (Full Pay)
ACT: 25 (First time ever taking it, already focusing on raising this and receiving tutoring this summer. I have about four more oppurtunities to take it and improve, I know I can raise it. Obviously my weak spot right now.)
SAT: ? (Deciding whether to take, probably will.)
GPA: 4.3(w)</p>

<p>Intended Major: Accounting/Business - Business Field Interest</p>

<p>Dream/Reach Schools: NYU Stern, Vanderbilt, UChicago (Yes, ACT has to be brought way up!). I am falling more in love with GWU...so I'm mainly attracted to urban schools with good internship/job opportunities.</p>

<p>Needed: A financial safety. I don't know where to look. Obviously I have Mizzou or SLU, but I want to leave the state to broaden my horizons and I want some prestige for my career as well, since business is heavily thought to need undergraduate prestige. Maybe something around $30,000 for a financial safety? (Yes, I have spoken with parents about costs.)</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:</p>

<p>Student Government - is a dedicated class within my school and four year course-load. To be selected for STUCO, one must submit an application, go through a general election, and be interviewed by a board. It is considered one of the higher honors because of the amount of responsibility bestowed. This organization has been my passion throughout high school.</p>

<p>*Served as member 9th Grade
*Served as Treasurer 10th & 11th (re-elected)
-Was responsible for managing the account and all monies within the government. This meant logging and handling (deposits, check requests, purchase orders) over $10,000 at specific times. I was solely responsible for handling all transactions.
*Running for President senior year
*Raised over $8,000 for charities including the Missouri Association of Student Council's designated charity the Special Olympics to organizations such as Toys For Tots and Restore Joplin.
*Acted as liaison between my high school regarding STUCO and was head of presentations regarding our current events and curriculum as well as reports each quarter.
*Attended STUCO summer camp freshmen year and sophomore year (paid for by STUCO as all officers are required and paid for to go). Have attended all district conferences and state conferences (sophomore and junior - through a slection process, only 4 members could go)</p>

<p>All Abilities Initiative - as a freshmen, I was selected to serve on the board to establish an all-abilities prom. A peer of mine, who was disabled, sought to establish a prom type of dance for kids with disabilities. I helped manage through the process and we had students from over six different schools attend. Now it has been a tradition to hold it every year and it keeps growing. We garnered a lot of press attention and other high schools have adapted our idea.</p>

<p>*Helped a coalition of change that included multiple school wide efforts to help end non-inclusion of kids with disabilities in the social norm of my high school. This included campaigns, diversity tutorials, and I spoke to the Board of Education regarding our progress with the efforts.</p>

<p>Cultural Leadership - leadership program designed to create change agents and activists to end discrimination and create awareness of the adversity problems that exist within St. Louis and the nation as a whole.</p>

<p>*Was selected as one of the 28 students per year accepted into the program. Students range from the best high schools in the area to the lowest performing. Acceptance was based on application and interview.
*Dedicating over 450 hours of time to travel to synagogues, churches, and other cultural aspects to create an understanding and awareness of culture. This also includes lectures and retreats. Required to make speeches, encouraged to create and bring awareness back to our schools, and bring change to our area.
*Will be traveling for three weeks from New York all the way to Georgia, during summer, stopping by important and significant places of activism and meeting with activists ranging from the Civil Rights era to new-age activists working to better their communities. Will be going to the White House and meeting significant people such as the Supreme Court Justices.
*This is a non-for-profit organization that is focused on the students within the program. The three week trip, retreats, and materials/lectures/activities are mostly paid for through donations from the community and sponsorships. Students must fund-raise $700 before the trip, but the actual trip costs $6,000+ for each student which is covered by the organization.</p>

<p>High School Diversity Alliance - serving as a consultant for the first year of my high school's very own diversity club. Mixing aspects of a GSA along with other diverse groups, this club aims to end discrimination and prejudice. I am applying what I'm learning in Cultural Leadership to benefit the organization. Hoping to expand and get the middle school involved as well.</p>

<p>Online Business - served as a staff member for 4+ years on a virtual forum website (100,000+ Users & 11,000,000 Posts). The website runs on bought pixelated items. Without this money, the site would not be able to function. I had to collaborate with peers across the world to come up with marketing techniques, hook new members, and maintain a solid customer service record. I worked my way up from a Moderator who dealt directly with users to an event coordinator who designed concepts for site wide events and activities to hook new and old members. Was selected from the regular userbase based on reputation and my positive criticism. Have business and customer service skills because of my years of dedication to this website.</p>

<p>School of Character - my school was the only high school in the nation my freshmen year to win this award. My administration flew to San Francisco to accept this award. It was based off of our community involvement and utilization of service learning.</p>

<p>*I'm serving as one of five speakers to present our initiatives and community involvement to other schools' Boards of Administration. I will be representing my school and our achievement.</p>

<p>Other:
NHS
Renaissance (Academic Club) - Secretary (sophomore)
QuizBowl/Academic Team
Award - Finalist in Missouri Law Day essay contest</p>

<p>Grades:</p>

<p>Freshmen Year</p>

<p>Hon. Phy/Earth Science - A/A
Hon. World History - A/A
Computer - A/A
Computers II - A/A
P.E/Health - A/A
Student Council - A/A
Algebra I - A/A
Hon. LA I - A/A</p>

<p>Sophomore Year</p>

<p>Geometry - A/A
Spanish I - A/A
Hon. Chemistry I - B/A
Hon. LA II - A/A
Student Council - A/A
Hon. American Government - A/A
Hon. Algebra II/Algebra II - C/A
(I was ambitious and took Honors Algebra II for almost the complete semester; however, I switched out of the class before semester and the C transferred to my regular class. I did receive an A for the second semester.)</p>

<p>Junior Year (Yet To Effect My GPA Which Will Drop Due To These)</p>

<p>Sociology - A
Trig/PreCal - B
Hon. American Literary Masterpieces - A (AP Credit)
Spanish II - A
Student Council - A
AP US History - A (AP Credit)
Hon. Physiology/Anatomy - B (AP Credit)
I have a slight opportunity at receiving A's in both Hon. Physiology and Hon. Literatry Masterpieces; however, there is a chance I wont be able to catch up. I just received a bad test score dropping my 87% in Trig/Precal to an 84%...so there's barely room for me to move.)</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your time!</p>

<p>How much have your parents told you they will pay each year? How much student debt do they think you should take on? How much money do they expect you to make with summer jobs and jobs during the school year?</p>

<p>Until you have solid figures to work with, you won't know how deep you will have to dig in order to find your financially safe schools.</p>

<p>For a safety, I'm looking for something around $30,000. My parent's are willing to co-sign loans and can, that is why I'm still applying to more costly schools. However, I want at least one school I can fall back on if need be. My parents are lenient about the student debt because they will be able to help me during and when I'm out of college. </p>

<p>There isn't really talk of earning a wages during a summer job, more like an internship somewhere.</p>

<p>Minnesota, Virginia Tech, and Cal Poly SLO are around $30,000 per year list price for out of state students.</p>

<p>But your in-state public universities should be considered for safety purposes.</p>

<p>If you can get a significantly higher ACT, Alabama and UAB will have generous merit scholarships.</p>

<p>*Gay White Male
Suburban, Mid-Level School (Missouri)
Income: $250,000+ (Full Pay)
ACT: 25 (First time ever taking it, already focusing on raising this and receiving tutoring this summer. I have about four more oppurtunities to take it and improve, I know I can raise it. Obviously my weak spot right now.)
SAT: ? (Deciding whether to take, probably will.)
GPA: 4.3(w)</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>You should take the SAT, you might do better on that.</p>

<p>* I'm looking for something around $30,000. My parent's are willing to co-sign loans and can, that is why I'm still applying to more costly schools. *</p>

<p>????</p>

<p>That would suggest that you're considering loans that would put you $80k-100k in debt by the time you graduate. That is waaaaaayyyyyyy toooooo much debt for ANY school.</p>

<p>If your parents will contribute $30k per year and you won't qualify for any aid, then you need to get some merit scholarships to more easily afford the pricey schools. Too much debt will ruin your young adult life.</p>

<p>The financial safety is a fall back in case something happens. However, my parent's are comfortable paying for the places that are my reaches without me having to take out too much in loans. </p>

<p>Honestly, I just want some matches and safeties for my stats right now. Just to gain scope. I have some state schools in mind that are only $25,000, which are good financial safeties. I just want to gain scope.</p>

<p>As a Missouri resident you can get reduced tuition through the Midwest Student Exchange. Here are the schools involved: MHEC</a> : MSEP Participating Institutions (52)</p>

<p>Your thoughts on prestige are out of whack...their are many 'non-prestigious' schools that have very good business schools.</p>

<p>For example, Depaul and U Minnesota are generally not considered 'prestigious'. Both are urban, and probably superior to GWU. Both will also be cheaper. In the case of U Minn, much cheaper.</p>

<p>U Minn would be an excellent choice. One that I would make over GWU any day of the week. The problem is this though, your ACT is too low for U Minn Carlson School. Their average ACT is a 30.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>and I want some prestige for my career as well, since business is heavily thought to need undergraduate prestige.</p>

<p>I know that you're going to try to raise your ACT 25 but you need to raise it a lot if you want some prestigious name school. Again, take both the ACT and SAT (especially if your science score is low on your ACT).</p>

<p>That said, there are schools that aren't that hard to get into that do have good B-schools....As mentioned above: DePaul...and there are others.</p>

<p>As for borrowing.... You shouldn't borrow more than the following amounts:</p>

<p>frosh 5500
soph 6500
jr 7500
sr 7500</p>