Just a question

<p>So I've finished my counseling 100 class, but one thing still lingers in my mind. My counselor did go over a lot of stuff, but I just forgot to ask him the specifics. Well, I'm curious, let's say I'm applying to the two top UC's, do I need to finish my IGETC or Prerequisites? Which one is better? Ohhh, and also, if I were to TAG, do I need to complete my IGETC? I know 90 is the magic number.</p>

<p>Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>EDIT: Title is misleading, sorry and should be named: Questions on Transferring</p>

<p>Can't TAG into UCLA or UCB. IGETC depends on your major -- something like engineering or bio sci would have a lot more prereqs than something like history.</p>

<p>I meant Tag to the other UC's, not LA and B.</p>

<p>You should finish your IGETC, and finish as many prereqs as you possibly can to be competitive. You mentioned the "top two UC's" which are LA and Berk, which you absolutely cannot TAG with. You can TAG with any of the other UC's. Having a high gpa, and completing all of your prereq's are the keys to admission into a top tier UC, depending on your major. 90 quarter units/60 semester units.</p>

<p>Ok. If you don't have any rush and don't mind staying 3 years at a CC, I would do it. Take it slow and develop your study and test taking skills. Find out what you want to do and begin taking prep classes for your prereqs (ex: intro to chem before general chem). Make sure you get A's and B's if you want a legitimate shot of making the top UC's nowadays. Finish your IGETC and prereqs before you transfer - its less expensive and you'll have more time to study hence better grades which will look alot better if you apply for grad school or when it comes time to find a job. </p>

<p>TAG is easy; all you need to do is finish IGETC. I would say prereqs are more important.</p>

<p>But if I do transfer after my 3rd year, then I'd be a senior when I transfer. Wow!</p>

<p>^ thats not how it works. No matter how many units you take at CC you can not take upper division classes so you will enter as a junior even if you had say 120 semester units the UC will only take 70 and you will be a junior.</p>

<p>No you won't. At a CC, you can only go up to sophomore standing basically. You will always be lower division transfer as long as you are in a CC. A lot of people do end up staying 3 years at a CC especially those with majors in the engineering, math, and science field. They would rather graduate in 5 or 6 years with a good GPA and attend a good grad school then graduate in 4 years with a lousy gpa. </p>

<p>Besides most big companies now, won't even give you an interview if you don't have at least a 3.0 GPA.</p>

<p>If all you care about is getting admission and peacing out of the parents house, then all you need is a 3.0 GPA and finish your IGETC by Spring semester prior to transfer (and the 60 units). You don't need to take classes for your prereqs. You'll be able to TAG into schools such as UCSD, UCR, etc. Granted, you'll for sure stay longer at a UC unless you wanna pay $250 per unit and do summer school over there... And that is where it might get pricey..</p>

<p>It depends on your major. Some majors require that you finish all of your prereqs before your last spring semester. Meaning if you do not complete the prereqs there is a high chance you will not get in. If your major suggest that you should complete as many prereqs before you transfer then it is possible to get accept without all of the prereqs completed. However, it is in your best interest to complete all of your prereqs (or as many as you possibly can) because it makes you a more competitive applicant. Also, you do not have to take the prereqs at the UC if you complete them at your CC.</p>

<p>As for IGETC it depends on your major. Some majors recommend it and some majors discourage the use of IGETC. If you are doing TAG and your TAG contract requires you to do IGETC then you are forced to complete IGETC before you transfer (this is the spring quarter/semester before you transfer). You cannot use the summer semester/quarter before you transfer to complete IGETC.</p>