Keurig coffee makers

<p>I would like to get a Keurig coffee maker for my office but I know they have a reputation for breaking. I thought I could off-set that by buying at Costco since they have a wonderful return policy but looking at the reviews here - Costco</a> - Keurig® Platinum B70 Gourmet Single Cup Coffee & Tea Brewing System it seems that I would be returning it fairly often. For those of you that own a Keurig, what has your experience been?</p>

<p>Mine broke. I also find the system creates a muddy tasting coffee. thumbs down.</p>

<p>I don't want to taste coffee made from a cartridge of premixtures. I prefer to grind my beans and make it from scratch.</p>

<p>My H has a single cup one and loves it. Had a couple years now.</p>

<p>I have the Keurig model that doesn’t have the water storage reservoir. My tap water is really hard so I use only bottled water in my Keurig coffee maker. Have had it for at least 2 years and it works perfectly and the coffee is good. IMO</p>

<p>I have the big one with the water storage - I got it from Costco about 3 years ago. It works fine and I like the coffee it makes - my favorite is the espresso blend. Mine hasn't broken down but then again, I only use it once a day or so unless the kids are home or we have guests. </p>

<p>The one problem I have encountered is that the inside of the water tank becomes a little green over time. This might be because mine is in front of a window and gets direct afternoon sun. When I see that it's going green, I just pour in a tiny amount of bleach and fill it with really hot water. Soak it for a bit and then scrub it out and refill it. Again, I'm guessing I have this problem because of where it sits and that it isn't used much. Despite this problem, I still like it and am glad I bought it.</p>

<p>Over a 10 month span, I bought four different Keurig compatible coffee makers (for home use) from Bed Bath and Beyond. They all suffered the pump failure problem after only a few months of light use. BBB offers a no hassle return policy, and would have allowed me to get a fifth machine, but I had had enough by that point.</p>

<p>DH's office of about 40 people has used a Flavia system for about five years now. They have never had a problem.</p>

<p>One of the things I find appealing is that you can use your own coffee with the My K-cup Reusable Coffee Filter. In our office we only have a few people pitching in with the coffee because everyone else likes either just de-caf or only this kind of tea or will only make hot drinks in cold weather, etc. I like the idea of one machine for all and we could each buy our own cups. A huge negative is the waste of the little cups. Are they recyclable?</p>

<p>Call me a spoilsport, but I am bothered by the overpackaging involved in Keurig coffee makers...</p>

<p>I have had a Brevard (same company) for 18 months that has started to turn itself off after it's halfway through a brewing cycle. I am not happy with it for that reason, but also because although you can change the amount of water you use, you cannot change the amount of coffee, so you can only make a decently strong 6 oz cup at a time. I use the mycup feature, so that I can use my own coffee and thus I can compost the grounds and not throw plastic away with each cup (the premade plastic cups, besides being bad coffee, are not recyclable). On the plus side, I find I use much less coffee, since I only make what I will drink, rather than throwing out half a pot.</p>

<p>kathiep you can buy a reuseable cup for the Keurig and fill it up with your own coffee. I bought one but must confess that I've never used it.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Call me a spoilsport, but I am bothered by the overpackaging involved in Keurig coffee makers...

[/quote]

me too. sorry.</p>

<p>Not sure why over packaging would make one a spoilsport? Sounds like a negative, as is the not re-recyclable cups. I'm just weighing the pro's and cons. Does anyone cheer over-packaging?</p>

<p>kathiep- If I recall correctly I saw a commercial last night for a Hamilton Beach single serving coffee maker. You use your own coffee.</p>

<p>My regular coffee pot will have to die first. To be honest, I seldom make a single cup of coffee. I'm perfectly happy with my Cuisinart Coffee maker.</p>

<p>We've had lots and lots of different coffeemakers but not the Keurig. This one we just use and use and it's low tech but makes wonderful coffee quite quickly, easy to clean, too.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Express-6-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso/dp/B000CNY6UK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Express-6-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso/dp/B000CNY6UK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I don't drink coffee, don't like the taste. My wife uses it once or twice a day in the morning. I find that the water reservoir leaks.</p>

<p>We have one and it's fine in that it makes good coffee, different people can have different (single cups) of whatever they prefer. We also have found a guy who makes re-usable plastic lids for the "disposable" K-cups. So when we use one, we rinse it out, re-fill it and put the lid on and use it again. Probably use each one 5-6 times at least.</p>

<p>We had the pump fail on one and Keurig just sent us a new, fancier one when DH called to talk to them about it. Their customer service is great.</p>

<p>I love the Keurig. We have had it about 4 year and use it daily (this one came from BBB). It has never leaked or broken. My husband uses the French Roast cups from Costco and i use the self-fill one with the coffee I buy. My son has one that we got from Costco and his hasn't had any problems either.</p>

<p>Keurig is OK at best. The full Senseo systems are much better (not the cheap individual ones.) Th Senseo systems produces that foam that mimics what is produced by full blown espresso machines. The Keurig is more similar to the darn awful drip systems America seems to have grown on. Small wonder so many do not like coffee! </p>

<p>It seems easier to locate pods for Keurig. I do not think that any of those machines have a very long life. But then, the same can be said for the cheap to medium-priced espresso machines. </p>

<p>In so many words, you get what you pay for. A french press coffee pot remains the most viable compromise for individual taste and quality.</p>