Kiplinger: 10 GREAT CITIES FOR YOUNG ADULTS

<p>10</a> Great Cities For Young Adults</p>

<p>I thought this would be a useful link...</p>

<p>
[quote]
Here are 10 cities in the U.S. that offer exceptional opportunities for those starting out in life. We began our search using the criteria we used to select our overall list of Best Cities for the Next Decade: healthy economies fueling new job growth. We fine-tuned our search using other youth-friendly factors such as large percentages of people under 35, cost of living and rental costs, culture, nightlife, and the time you're likely to spend in traffic. Take a look — and tell us what you think.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I agree with most of those besides Salt Lake, New York, and Houston. </p>

<p>Some might disagree and say NY is great, but honestly for young adults it's waaayyy to expensive in any of the nicer areas unless you live with a ton of roommates or something.</p>

<p>I can't imagine that Salt Lake is fun for anyone who enjoys nightlife.</p>

<p>Other than that, seems like a good list. New York would probably be better listed as Brooklyn or Queens though, as Manhattan can be a little expensive.</p>

<p>I like the "best cities for the next decade" list much better.</p>

<p>Chicago....LOL. It's great if you want to get shot to death.</p>

<p>Thanks for the encouragement stratusfaction. That's where Im headed for grad school, and hopefully to live. I'll make sure to bring my kevlar with me.</p>

<p>I'm surprised New York is on this list. I live in New York as a graduate student and my grad student salary is about the same as my friends' salaries who have entry level job. First of all, I'm laughing at the median monthly rent of $1,025 including utilities. Maybe if you live in Harlem, Washington Heights, or Inwood, or one of the less popular neighborhoods in the outer boroughs. But in general, I think a young professional should expect to pay around $1200 in rent for a really decent place. I don't know if I'd say that New York is great for a young professional unless than young professional is making around $50,000 or higher per year.</p>

<p>Austin, Charlotte, Portland, and D.C. are all on my list of places I'd like to live after I finish my graduate degree. Seattle's on their list of best cities for the next decade, and I think that'd be cool, too. I love New York but I need to live someplace less intense than this city.</p>

<p>NY is a great city if you grew up here. But Manhattan can be ridiculously expensive if you don't have the money. Like cheap places such as McDonald's are 50 cents to a $1 more expensive.Brooklyn and Queens are great places to live while communing to Manhattan, and the trains are very extensive and cheap, like 2.25 for a ride. You don't need a car, to get around. </p>

<p>Places in Texas are great to... if you can bear the heat.</p>

<p>I think DC is a great city to be in, very career-oriented. I would also love to live in Portland at some point, it's beautiful! Salt Lake City is good if you are Mormom/LDS but I think it could be isolating if you aren't. Surprised that Atlanta, LA, Seattle, and Boston weren't on the list and that Kansas City was, interesting...</p>

<p>I do wonder what the methodology behind these lists are...</p>

<p>This list is utter garbage; many of the cities had high crime and high cost of living. Charlotte especially.</p>

<p>Lived in the Lansing area for years, couldn't imagine the city being on such a list. The best city in the state over 100k is Grand Rapids.</p>

<p>How do you not have Boston on there. Seriously. Boston has so many well known schools either in the city or in the surrounding area, so there is a constant influx of young adults coming in and hanging around. The three cities that I have always heard that were great places to live in for college are Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco. For that matter, where is San Francisco on that list...</p>

<p>I'm glad to see a North Carolina city on there, but I would have selected Raleigh instead of Charlotte. Raleigh has the benefit of being located close to four major universities (NC State, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest), is closer to the beach, is rapidly growing, and has a low cost of living. Nightlife downtown is great as well. All of these thins appeal greatly to young people.</p>

<p>Boston is a good place for young families. But for young single adults looking for fun, Boston is pretty lame. The locals are less friendly than the cities on the list. The accent is annoying for people who aren't used to it. The nightlife is very tame, and shuts down early especially with the T closing at 12. It's also overpriced.</p>

<p>Atlanta isn't on there?! pshh</p>

<p>So many cold weather locations...this young adult does not like the cold weather.</p>

<p>I live in Charlotte, and its definitely on the rise. Your gonna have crime in any major city, and the cost of living, compared to cities up north, is reasonable. That being said, its kind of a cookie cutter city. Most of the culture, at least in my experience, is superficial and limited to small pockets in the city. The nightlife is there, but don't expect much variety in terms of what you will find there. Most of the bars are pretty similar in terms of atmosphere. And you WILL need a car to get around, period.</p>

<p>Austin's pretty awesome.</p>

<p>I would also take Raleigh over Charlotte - the RTP area is booming. As far as DC is concerned, IMO the NoVA suburbs actually have more to offer than the city itself. SLC is a really nice place, just a little different from most others.</p>

<p>Lansing made no sense at all to me.</p>

<p>^where is "Executive Platinum"? that sounds like a nice place to live!</p>