Kitchens...and printers...

<p>First off, what exactly are in the dorm kitchens? I remember reading that there is pretty much no dishes, and such; but what do kitchens have? Also, I'm currently looking at laptops to purchase, but will I need to have a printer of my own?</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/cornell-university/947515-printer.html?highlight=printers%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/cornell-university/947515-printer.html?highlight=printers&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Dorm kitchens have the basics: sink, refrigerator and stove/oven. Kitchens usually do not have dishes or pots/pans.</p>

<p>A quick way to make friends: bring your own set of pots and share. I brought a set of old cookware and as soon as my floor found out, I became very popular :)</p>

<p>What exactly would my printer need to have if I'm carrying around a laptop?</p>

<p>most people get the cheapest HP or DELL printer...</p>

<p>neww eggg sometimes has amazing deals on printers during early august :D</p>

<p>i would also bring dish soap + sponge to wash your kitchen stuff with...oh and dont leave the soap in the kitchen because it'll be gone fast! :(</p>

<p>I have a printer now, but I'm wondering whether there is a router in the dorms. I want to establish a wireless connection with my printer if possible.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm wondering whether there is a router in the dorms.

[/quote]
The ones in your dorm are CIT's only. You can bring your own router, tell CIT that you have one and are going to use it, set it up, and use it.</p>

<p>So how would I be able to set up a connection with my laptop and printer? CIT's router would only work for the wireless internet? I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff since I've been using a wired desktop at home for about eight years.</p>

<p>
[quote]
So how would I be able to set up a connection with my laptop and printer? CIT's router would only work for the wireless internet? I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff since I've been using a wired desktop at home for about eight years.

[/quote]

Once you move in, you'll see a piece of paper on your table. It's an instruction to connect your computer to the network (wired and wireless). I'm not so sure about setting the printer though.</p>

<p>you need your own router for a wireless printer-laptop connection. note that is you are like me and find that whole concept confusing, you can always just plug the cord from the printer straight into the USB port on your laptop.</p>

<p>also, no one has said it yet, but the kitchens also have microwaves. I like to cook, but those occasionally come in very handy nonetheless.</p>

<p>Some printers nowadays come wired or wireless capable which can be interfaced directly with a router. Otherwise, you would need a desktop computer that is hooked into the printer and into the router to be able to print from a laptop.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Some printers nowadays come wired or wireless capable which can be interfaced directly with a router. Otherwise, you would need a desktop computer that is hooked into the printer and into the router to be able to print from a laptop.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>My printer does have wireless capability. It's just a matter of getting a connection with my laptop. I'll soon know for sure whether I'll need to go out and get my own router as well. :|</p>

<p>Usually an ethernet cable between your router and printer suffices. Otherwise set up a wireless network with a router and your laptop, and connect the printer to it.</p>

<p>All of this information should be available in the guides that came with your printer.</p>

<p>you can also print wirelessly from your laptop to a specific printer at a library or at a computer lab...</p>

<p>i think CIT has instructions online?</p>

<p>Wireless for me wasn't worth the hassle. I remember I didn't print frequently enough freshman year (and I still don't) to make plugging in the printer each time annoying.</p>