Knowing the Right People Gets You a Job

<p>Hi everyone,</p>

<p>Long time guest-lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd weigh in my two cents. The job economy hasn't been too great so far, but I believe that getting a job is just knowing the right people, and I wanted to know what you guys thought about this.</p>

<p>TL;DR - Is the title a true statement?</p>

<p>Ha, knowing the right people and having them like you...</p>

<p>It's not "just" knowing the right people - it's knowing the right people and having the skills to take advantage of the opportunities that are opened up.</p>

<p>I got my first "real" job in motorsports public relations through an acquaintance in the racing world... who founded a Grand-Am Daytona Prototype sports car racing team. I spent three years as his primary PR man, traveling around North America to promote the team, its sponsors and drivers. Yes, my "in" was knowing him, but he wouldn't have hired me if I hadn't been in college pursuing a journalism degree, giving me extensive experience as a nationally-honored writer and editor.</p>

<p>Good point, polarscribe. I guess one thing that I really have trouble with is not getting in contact with the right people is difficult, because it's usually you know a friend, of a friend, of a friend, no? And that sorts of gets convoluted...</p>