LACs like Rice, Harvey Mudd, Reed but less selective?

<p>I would love to go to one of them but they seem to be too selective to accept me. What are some likes?</p>

<p>size should be around 1000-3000, or even 4000. Colleges that will offer great education in math/science or even engineering but will still offer good liberal arts education/majors.</p>

<p>Engineering is a problem, may need to look at small to mid-sized publics for that, Rice is an unusual school in many ways, and there is only one Harvey Mudd and Reed.
Suggestions - Trinity Univ in Tx (I think they may have engineering?), St Olaf's in Minne (good science plus music, one of the odd things about Rice), Rhodes College excellent pre-med sciences plus volunteer opportunities at St Jude.</p>

<p>Since I wouldn't really consider Rice or Harvey Mudd as a true Lac (HM especially) how about Ga Tech or Clemson - bigger, but not gargantuan and good engineering.</p>

<p>Also check out Trinity College in CT and Union College in NY -Union has a very strong engineering program, strong math program as well. You might also want to look at the University of Rochester as a possiblity.</p>

<p>I'd add:</p>

<p>Bucknell U
Union C
Trinity C
Lafayette
Skidmore
Hendrix
Lewis & Clark
Willamette
Colorado C
Denison U
DePauw U
College of Wooster
Earlham
Purdue
Rochester Institute of Technology
UWisconsin
UIllinois-UC
Case Western
Tulane</p>

<p>Just my humble opinion.</p>

<p>I would second Case Western and RIT.</p>

<p>Allegheny Colllege offers the following program for engineering:</p>

<p>Five engineering programs entail three years at Allegheny and further study -- usually two years -- at a cooperating institution.
At the conclusion of study, the student receives a bachelor's degree from Allegheny and the Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree from the cooperating institution.
Programs have been arranged with the Columbia University School of Engineering and Applied Science, Case Institute of Technology of Case Western Reserve University, the School of Engineering of the University of Pittsburgh, and the Duke University and Washington University engineering schools.
Most programs require that students maintain a "B" average overall and in the sciences. For these universities, acceptance to the cooperating institution is contingent upon the recommendation of the student's major department at Allegheny. For some of the engineering departments, enrollment is limited by the engineering school. Similar arrangements may be made with engineering programs at other institutions with the approval of the faculty.
An alternative cooperative program with Columbia provides for earning the bachelor's degree at Allegheny in the usual four years and the Master of Science in Engineering degree after two additional years at Columbia. This program requires substantial academic performance in Allegheny course work and is available in most engineering fields.</p>

<p>phax - I listed some of these schools on another thread: Lawrence, St. Olaf and College of Wooster have very good sciences and very accessible professors. Union College would be another thought. These schools are varying flavors of match for you, so you should look into some less-selective schools to find a true safety school for your list.</p>