languages

<p>How is the Russian language/ Russian area studies program? I know that Russian is hard to learn (but I am good at languages) and was wondering if the program at Pitt is good enough to help a person become near fluent +.</p>

<p>DD has a friend who is studying Russian and is happy with the program. Pitt also offers Russian in its summer language program. You might look at the level of classes offered in Russian and how many majors they have. I think that my daughter will eventually study Russian as well, but she is in a different language first.</p>

<p>You might also e-mail a professor in the department if you have specific questions. The professors seem to be pretty responsive.</p>

<p>Pitt has a Slavic Languages and Literature Department (|</a> Slavic Languages and Literatures | University of Pittsburgh) that's very good.</p>

<p>I want to study Russian (and maybe Portuguese :P) along with my major in Linguistics. Maybe I'll see you there!</p>

<p>Russian is really well taught at Pitt, as well as most of the Slavic Languages. If you want to become near fluent at a quicker pace, take the Slavic Language Institute during the summer. I'm in it right now for BCS. You can stay in Pittsburgh, or they have programs to Moscow. Most of the teachers are native speakers, and the work is INTENSE. Plus, they teach you not only the language, but culture. We have singing and dancing class, picnics, lectures, movies, etc.</p>

<p>Summer</a> Language Institute | University of Pittsburgh</p>