Laptop for a Computer Science Kid

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I'm going to be majoring in computer science this next year. I want a good, powerful laptop. In addition to my schoolwork, I'll be running programs like AutoCAD and the Adobe Master Collection.</p>

<p>These are a couple laptops I've been looking at:</p>

<p>Dell Studio XPS 16:
The</a> Dell Online Store: Build Your System</p>

<p>Asus N61Jq-X2 - Dark Brown
Micro</a> Center - Asus N61Jq-X2 Laptop Computer - Dark Brown N61JQ-X2</p>

<p>Which would you choose? Would you recommend a different one? Which one?</p>

<p>Thanks very much!</p>

<p>Read this:
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-computers/956748-computers-engineering-majors.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-computers/956748-computers-engineering-majors.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>That is a helpful thread, thank you!!
But, are there any specific computers that can be recommended?</p>

<p>I love my Asus G73JH-A1 :)</p>

<p>What kind of battery life are you looking for? Mine gets a beautiful 1 hour, while the Asus you listed gets 3. The Apple laptops can pull like 10 hours though! :o</p>

<p>Also, the Asus UL50Vt-A1 is incredible. It's not the most powerful, but it has a 15'' screen, is super thin and light, and lasts 11.5 hours on one charge.</p>

<p>I might sell my current monster Asus for the more sleek UL50</p>

<p>Asus</a> UL50Vt-A1</p>

<p>Thanks caltanner!
I'm looking for at least 3 hours, so that one is pretty decent for that.
Not interested in a Mac =)
I'll look up the stuff on the computers you mentioned! Thanks again!</p>

<p>Any other suggestions, CC Community?</p>

<p>I have the exact same question!
I've been looking at computers incredibly similar to those, I don't want a Mac, and I'd like decent battery life!</p>

<p>As the owner of a UL30A (13" version of the UL50), I do not recommend it if you're planning on doing CAD. It's a brilliant light+mobile laptop, and can photoshop just fine, but I'm not confident in how it'll hold up with CAD.</p>

<p>The Envy series seem pretty popular right now, if you're interested. If you want a balance of performance and mobility, they'd actually be my first recommendation. If not, how about the Asus U35JC/U45JC (just released)? It has a Core i3 CPU with a 310M graphics chip, if I remember right, with nVidia Optimus and 8 hour battery lives. If you want something more powerful, the Asus G60 or G73 series will suit you fine as well.</p>

<p>
[QUOTE]
What kind of battery life are you looking for? Mine gets a beautiful 1 hour, while the Asus you listed gets 3. The Apple laptops can pull like 10 hours though!

[/QUOTE]
</p>

<p>That's because they use a weaker GPU, and they only get 5-7 hours (depending on Core 2 or i7), not the advertised 10.</p>

<p>
[QUOTE]
I have the exact same question!
I've been looking at computers incredibly similar to those, I don't want a Mac, and I'd like decent battery life!

[/QUOTE]
</p>

<p>Again, I'd like to suggest the Asus U35JC/U45JC. The U35 is 13.3", and the U45 is 14.1". They both have the Core i3 CPU with an nVidia 310M graphics chip and Optimus technology, and has an actual battery life of 8-9 hours on the integrated GPU. Pretty great laptop :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the info r31ncarnat3d! I'm looking those up now.</p>

<p>Any comments on the Dell?</p>

<p>Truthfully I'm not a fan of the Dell Studio series. Too heavy/bulky for my tastes, and the build quality isn't great either. Battery life also doesn't match up well compared to other laptops. The only Dell laptops I'd recommend are the Latitude business laptops. The only downside with the Latitude, however, is that they're not good looking and are still a bit bulky.</p>

<p>I'd go with the ASUS, just because I enjoy their products in general. My friend got a model very similar to that one, and he is very pleased with it all around.</p>

<p>I've got the ASUS G51JX-A1, which is quite the animal, if I do say so.</p>